Skip header navigation

Post-study work

T4 Doctorate Extension Scheme

Tier 4 students completing a PhD or other doctorate-level qualification at the University of Stirling may be eligible to apply to extend their Tier 4 visa for a further 12 months in order to find skilled work or to set up as an entrepreneur. You do not need a job offer but as your awarding university, we must sponsor you with a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS). You will be required to maintain contact with us throughout your time on this scheme.

If you are interested in applying under the T4 DES category then you must make an appointment with the Student Immigration Team once your viva date is known. It will only be appropriate to apply under the Doctorate Extension Scheme if you are still studying and only have minor corrections to make. You cannot apply once you have completed your PhD. Applications for this scheme can only be made in the United Kingdom.  As a first step in the selection process please complete the relevant forms (see below) and return to the Student Immigration Team at We will then advise on next steps.

DES CAS Request form

DES Assessment form

Scroll back to the top