Can I work whilst studying?

Students on Student visas can do some work in the UK during their studies. Students who are aged 16 or older can work up to 10 hours a week. Younger students are not allowed to work.

Check what your passport sticker (entry clearance or residence permit) or biometric residence permit (identity card) says. You can work in the UK if your passport sticker or identity card says one of the following:

  • work (and any changes) must be authorised;
  • able to work as authorised by the Secretary of State;
  • work as in Student visa rules;
  • restricted work. P/T term time. F/T vacations;
  • restricted work term time;
  • work limited to max 20 hours per week during semester time (not just when classes are complete);
  • work limited to max 10 hours per week during semester time (not just when classes are complete).

Any work you do includes both paid and unpaid employment (e.g. voluntary work). If you are not sure if this applies to you then you should discuss this with your employer and/or contact the Student Immigration Team at the University.

You can do most kinds of work, but you must not:

  • be self-employed;
  • be engaged in business activity;
  • be employed as a professional sportsperson including as a sports coach;
  • be employed as an entertainer;
  • take a permanent full-time job;
  • work as a doctor or dentist in training, unless you are on the foundation programme.

Working more than 20 hours per week when you are not permitted to do so is considered a serious immigration offence. Likewise, being self-employed or engaging in business activity will be considered a serious immigration offence.

If you are in your dissertation semester, please remember that you cannot work more than 20 hours per week. Your dissertation semester is still considered full-time study.

Students found to be in breach of their visa conditions risk not being able to complete their studies. The University has a duty to report any students found to be exceeding their weekly limit or working in breach of their visa conditions. The Home Office will curtail your visa which would have serious implications on the completion of your studies and any subsequent visa application.

Working during your studies (taught students)

If you are aged 18 or over and have a Student visa to complete a degree course at the University of Stirling, you are allowed to work. You are permitted to work for up to 20 hours each week during University semester time full time during agreed University vacations.

Students with visas enrolled on our Masters Programmes cannot work full time whilst working on their dissertation as the summer months between June and the start of the Autumn semester are not considered as a holiday period.

View the semester dates.

Working full time after my studies (all students)

Students on Student visas can work full-time in the UK after your course has officially ended. Typically your course end date will be specified on your Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies. For Masters students the course end date is normally around the 10th September each year. The course end date for all other students will normally be the 1st of June each year.

Contact Us

If you have any questions please contact us at 

Student Work Placements

Students on Student visas may undertake a work placement provided that it is approved by the University and is clearly defined as part of the programme structure.

A work placement must not exceed 50% of the total length of the programme and the placement must also be fully assessed as part of the programme. In the first instance students should discuss the work placement with their Faculty. If approved full details of the placement must be sent to

Faculties must ensure that providers are fully compliant with EU and UK law and those providers are fully aware of the requirement to comply with UKVI reporting regulations. Students should check with the Faculty and provider before starting a placement. 

The University will continue to be responsible for the student throughout the entirety of the work placement and must continue to comply with all sponsor duties during this time. As such the University must ensure that the student continues to comply with the requirements of the programme of study and their T4 visa, this includes meeting all attendance requirements and continued engagement on their placement.

Faculties must ensure that the appropriate monitoring and reporting procedures are in place. These procedures must be compliant with the Attendance and Engagement Code of Practice.