Skip header navigation

Police registration

‌‌Do I need to register with the police?

If your visa or biometric residence card (BRP) includes the words “register with police within 7 days” or “police registration within 7 days” or something similar, then you need to register with Police Scotland.

Students will also receive a letter along with their visa/BRP confirming whether or not they should register with Police Scotland. Please check all of your documents carefully and register if required.

What do I need to register with the police?

You will need: 

  • 2 passport size photos

  • A certificate of enrolment with your course details AND local address – a certificate of enrolment will be available AFTER you have completed enrolment from the Student Hub in 2A1 Cottrell

  • A photocopy of the photo page from your passport

  • A photocopy of your current visa (in most cases this is the BRP card you collected from the post office on arrival to the UK but it should be the visa that covers the duration of your studies)

  • A photocopy of the visa you were issued to travel into the UK with (usually valid for approx. 1 month)

  • £34 in cash (please note credit/debit cards are not accepted)

  • A completed Police Registration Form - also available from the Student Hub and the document holder just outside 2Z Cottrell.

How do I submit my application?

  • You can register at the Police Scotland HQ in Stirling at Randolphfield, St Ninians Street, FK8 2HD. Students are advised to register at the weekends or after 5pm during the week.
  • You should take all required documents, the completed application and £34. Your passport will be stamped and you will be given a receipt which you should keep safe.

What happens next?

  • Police Scotland will process your application and produce your Police Registration certificate.  When the certificate is ready you will be contacted via your student email account with collection details.  To collect your certificate you will need your passport and the receipt.

Change of Circumstances

If you already have a Police Registration Certificate then you must also report any changes (course, visa, address etc) to Police Scotland using the Police Registration - Changes form. You can report changes at the address above.

If you require further information about registering or advising of changes you can do this by e-mailing or calling 0131 311 3365.

Scroll back to the top