MRes Educational Research
Build towards a future in educational research with our Masters course. Study full-time or part-time and broaden your career opportunities.
- Award Masters / MRes, Postgraduate Diploma, Postgraduate Certificate
- Start date September 2021
- Duration MRes full-time: 12 months, MRes part-time: 27 months
- Mode of study Part-time, Full-time, Campus based, Stand-alone modules, Mixture of online and classroom delivery
This innovative Masters course prepares you for a career in educational research, whether you plan to go on to a doctorate or take your research in other directions.
Under the expert guidance of our team of leading academics, you’ll develop a broad range of research skills. You’ll learn to design and plan research projects and collect, analyse, interpret and report qualitative and quantitative data. By the time you graduate you’ll have a deeper understanding of the theoretical, ethical, political and comparative aspects of carrying out educational research.
The course also covers digital methodologies, and you’ll be involved with cutting-edge research projects currently being carried out by staff in the Faculty of Social Sciences.
This course is designed to equip you for a career in educational research or act as preparation for doctoral study (as a 1 + 3 route to a PhD). You’ll develop a range of invaluable research skills and engage closely with current research projects underway at the University and beyond.
The course offers you:
- a structured taught course in educational research
- excellent preparation for doctoral studies by research
- first-hand experience of current education research projects in the Faculty of Social Sciences
- the award of a Masters degree
- a course recognised by the Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC)
Our Educational Research course has been recognised by the Economic and Social Research Council as meeting its criteria for postgraduate research training, helping students learn core and transferable research skills and improving their future employability. It also forms part of the recognised pathway in educational research for the Scottish Graduate School in the Social Sciences.
An opportunity to undertake a research placement will be available to you as you work towards your MRes.
If you’re interested in studying a module from this course, the Postgraduate Certificate or the Postgraduate Diploma then please email Graduate Admissions to discuss your course of study.
In the Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014, Educational research at the University of Stirling had the highest quality of research outputs of any Scottish university, with 100% classed as either world-leading or internationally excellent. Our expert teaching team are on hand to introduce you to cutting-edge empirical and theoretical research in a multi-disciplinary and professional environment.