MRes Business and Management
A specialised Masters degree that will provide you with the skills to carry out high-quality research into business, management, organisations and other related areas.
- Award Masters / MRes, Postgraduate Diploma, Postgraduate Certificate
- Start date September 2021
- Duration MRes full-time: 12 months
- Mode of study Full-time, Campus based, Stand-alone modules
Our Master of Research in Business and Management is accredited by the Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC) and the Scottish Graduate School of Social Science for the training of PhD students.
You'll learn how to:
- undertake doctoral research in business and management
- equip yourself for an academic or commercial career in business and management research
- undertake, evaluate, commission or manage research in the commercial, public, or voluntary sectors
The MRes course has a strong practical focus and trains you in the advanced skills necessary for business, management, economic and policy research. Our aim is to help you to become a researcher who is:
- reflective and aware of the assumptions, strengths and limitations of your research
- highly skilled in a multitude of management and organisational research techniques
- readily able to apply this knowledge in new and diverse domains
When you graduate, you’ll be a reflective, astute researcher who is highly skilled in a multitude of management and organisational research techniques. You’ll be able to apply this knowledge to a wide variety of situations and will be able to:
- understand the assumptions made by different approaches to research, their limitations and
their implications for answering research questions using an appropriate research design
- use qualitative, quantitative and experimental techniques to collect and analyse data to an advanced level
- apply this knowledge to the design, conduct and reporting of research projects
- critically analyse the methodologies used to conduct empirical research projects
Learn from the experts
You’ll work closely with lecturers and supervisors, who are internationally recognised research experts, with strong track records in publishing findings of global significance. Our teaching team have a strong track record of securing research funding, including from UK research councils and the European Union. They also regularly advise governmental and policy bodies.
The University of Stirling Management School
At the University of Stirling Management School, the principle of responsible business, policy and practice is central to everything we do. This vision helps us to equip our students effectively with the skills to act as global citizens, capable of addressing the needs of society.
As a member of the Chartered Association for Business Schools, we have strong links with industry and were recently awarded the Small Business Charter for engagement with local and regional enterprise.
Our MRes course is also the generic entry point for the University of Stirling Management School Doctoral Programme. The Management School is a member institution of the ESRC Scottish Doctoral Training Centre. They welcome applications for doctoral studentships in Accounting and Finance, and Business and Management.
The Master of Research in Business and Management is part of our suite of highly prestigious courses approved by the ESRC for use in general research training of ESRC sponsored students undertaking PhD research.
Developing Business Leaders of the Future
Postgraduate education at the University of Stirling Management School goes beyond text books and lecture rooms, we also focus on your personal and professional development.
Our unique Flying Start Leadership programme equips you with the awareness, knowledge and techniques essential for building a successful career. These range from practical skills, like effective public speaking, to developing ways to work under pressure in difficult situations and manage conflict. Find out more about Flying Start.
The Master of Research in Business and Management is accredited by the ESRC and the SGSS for training of PhD students.
If you’re interested in studying a module from this course, the Postgraduate Certificate or the Postgraduate Diploma then please email Graduate Admissions to discuss your course of study.
The University of Stirling Management School is rated among the top 25 in the UK for Business and Management research, according to REF 2014.
64% of our research outputs were classified as world-leading and internationally excellent in terms of their originality, significance and rigour. We were ranked 14th in the UK in terms of research impact with over 60% of our research impact judged to have outstanding reach and wide-ranging impact on the policies of public, private and governmental organisations.
What our students said
MRes Business and Management
Read Carolina's storyProfessors who teach this course have a vast expertise, and the University offers classes in different research software. Thus, I learned qualitative and quantitative research methods, applying technology in order to improve the quality of the research.