English language requirements
If English is not your first language, you must provide evidence of your English language skills. Specific English language requirements are listed on each individual course page. Here we give you an overview of the English language qualifications we accept.
Secure English language tests
The UK Government approves certain English language qualifications as being Secure English Language Tests (SELT). These meet the government’s requirements for visa applications. View the full list of approved SELT.
English language qualifications
We’re also able to accept English language qualifications that are not on the approved SELT list for entry. Please note that this applies only to undergraduate or postgraduate level courses.
What qualifications do we accept?
We’ll continue to accept all of the following English language qualifications:
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS). Please note that the British Council have advised that numerous IELTS exams have been suspended due to the COVID-19 pandemic. You can still apply with one of the English language qualifications listed below. For the latest information relating to dates for IELTS tests, please refer to the IELTS website. For booking an IELTS test in China, you can find exam details on its official site. To find exam availability please visit IELTS application portal where it updates availability of exam spaces every day.
- Cambridge C1 Advanced English (CAE)
- Cambridge C2 Proficiency in English (CPE)
- Pearson Test of English (Academic) (PTE)
- Internet-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (IBT TOEFL)
- Trinity Integrated Skills in English (Trinity ISE)
- INTO English Language Assessment (IELA)
Alternative (non-SELT) online tests we accept
The University now also accepts four online English Language tests which can be presented as evidence of language proficiency. Applicants who require a Student visa and cannot obtain a Secure English Language Test (SELT) due to COVID -19 disruption to testing, can now submit any one of the following alternative tests with their degree application:
- IELTS Indicator (not available mainland China)
- Duolingo English Test (DET)
- LanguageCert International ESOL B2
- TOEFL iBT (Special Home Edition) (not available mainland China)
Applicants should note that the guidance may change in some regions as normal test centres re-open and a SELT tests become available.
English language requirements vary depending on your chosen course. Please view our individual course pages for further information.
Applicants from India should check our India information page for specific English language requirements.
If you’re a postgraduate student, we may waive the English language condition if you can provide evidence that your undergraduate degree was taught and examined fully in English.
We’ll also waive the need for a formal English language qualification if you meet certain criteria, depending on whether you’re an undergraduate or postgraduate student. For more detailed information on when we’ll waive an English language requirement, please go to the following pages: