MSc Data Science for Business (Online)
Study online and gain the skills and knowledge needed for a successful career in roles requiring data driven decision making and analytical acumen.
- Award Masters / MSc, Postgraduate Diploma, Postgraduate Certificate
- Start date October 2022, February 2023, May 2023
- Duration MSc part-time: 24 months
- Mode of study part time
- Delivery online
Take your place at the cutting edge of today’s evolving business landscape with our online MSc in Data Science for Business.
The course equips you to become a data-driven leader against a backdrop of rapid change, in which businesses are increasingly relying on big data to make their most important decisions. Globally, the demand for data scientists has grown at a faster rate than supply – with a 344% increase in job postings in the field since 2013 (Indeed, 2019). Yet 77% of companies say it’s difficult to recruit people with the big data skills they need. By studying our online Masters, you’ll be perfectly positioned to meet this growing demand.
As you progress on the course, you’ll develop highly sought-after skills, including:
- An understanding of the industrial and scientific relevance of analytics
- The ability to apply data-led insights in strategic decision-making
- Business acumen and advanced management know-how
Real-world case studies and a focus on current business issues give you the opportunity to develop a deeper understanding of the use of data analytics in solving the challenges you'll encounter in the workplace.
The entire course is studied online, enabling you to fit your studies around personal and professional demands. You’ll learn through a combination of video lectures, live webinars and course materials that are easy to access wherever you are, whenever it works for you. Our intuitive learning hub also offers collaborative tools that make it simple to connect with tutors and fellow students, creating a rich online environment built around human-centred learning.
The Data Lab
We work closely with The Data Lab, an internationally leading research and innovation centre in data science. Established with an £11.3 million grant from the Scottish Funding Council, The Data Lab enables industry, public sector and world-class university researchers to innovate and develop new data science capabilities in a collaborative environment. Its core mission is to generate significant economic, social and scientific value from data. As a student you’ll benefit from a wide range of learning and networking events that connect leading organisations seeking business analytics skills with students looking for exciting opportunities in this field.
Top reasons to study with us
Over the duration of the course you'll:
- Acquire knowledge, skills and experience for a successful career in data driven roles
- Understand the applications and implications of data analytics in organisations across different sectors
- Develop knowledge and skills of data analytics tools and techniques for business decision making
- Enhance your capabilities and confidence for championing data analytic projects
- Enhance and develop critical, analytical, interpersonal and other transferable skills
In REF 2021, 80% of our research impact in Business and Management Studies was classed as world leading or internationally excellent.
A minimum of a second class Honours degree or equivalent. Applicants without these formal qualifications but with significant appropriate/relevant work/life experience are encouraged to apply.
International entry requirements
English language requirements
If English is not your first language you must have one of the following qualifications as evidence of your English language skills:
- IELTS Academic or UKVI 6.0 with a minimum of 5.5 in each sub-skill
- Cambridge C1 Advanced (CAE) 169 overall with a minimum of 162 in each sub-skill
- Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE) 180 overall with a minimum of 162 in each sub-skill
- Pearson Test of English (Academic) 60 overall with a minimum of 59 in each sub-skill
- IBT TOEFL 78 overall with a minimum of 17 in listening, 18 in reading, 20 in speaking and 17 in writing
- IBT TOEFL Special Home Edition Test 78 overall with a minimum of 17 in listening, 18 in reading, 20 in speaking and 17 in writing
- Trinity ISE II Pass overall with a Pass in each sub-skill, ISE III Pass overall and in all sub-skills, ISE IV Pass overall and in all sub-skills
- Aptis (4 skills) CEFR B2 overall and B2 in all sub-skills
- Duolingo 95 overall with a minimum of 90 in all sub-skills
- LanguageCert International ESOL B2 Communicator - High Pass overall with minimum 25 in each sub-skill
Last updated: 24 March 2022
You must also check the specific English language requirements for your country.
For more information on ways that you can meet our English language requirements, including options to waive the requirement, please read our information on English language requirements.
Our MSc Data Science for Business online equips you to make strategic business decisions rooted in big data.
Data scientists are becoming increasingly valued by companies who understand that good data analysis can help them to improve customer service, identify problems or opportunities in their workflows, and achieve sustainable growth.
To make sure you’re ready to meet the challenges businesses are facing, the course focuses on giving you:
- An understanding of the diversity of organisations, their process, systems and opportunities for the application of data science.
- Knowledge and skills of data analytics tools and techniques for business decision making.
- An ability to design and apply business research methods.
- The ability to understand the impact of global environmental forces on organisations, including: legal and political systems; demographics; ethical, social, and technological change issues on data driven organisations.
- Enhanced personal, critical, analytical, interpersonal, leadership and entrepreneurial skills.
The course is delivered entirely online through our intuitive learning platform. You’ll have access to a wide range of resources, including:
- Video lectures
- Live webinars
- Day-to-day support from online tutors
- Collaborative activities with fellow students
- Core module materials, documentation and reading lists
- Journals, ebooks and software
An internet connection is required to study this course, and our learning platform is accessible via desktop, laptop and mobile devices. See more details on the specific modules you'll study below.
You’ll learn through a combination of video lectures, live webinars and course materials that are easy to access wherever you are, whenever it works for you. Our intuitive learning hub also offers collaborative tools that make it easy to connect with tutors and fellow students, creating a rich online environment built around human-centred learning. You'll also have access to an extensive database of ebooks and journals, and free software such as Office 365.
The course uses a variety of assessment methods ranging from individual assignments, group assignments, business reports, online class tests, examinations, individual and group presentations and research design.
Assignments and essays are used to test research skills with a strong emphasis on critical analysis and reflective insights. The assignments also provide the opportunity to develop and assess your management communication skills and capability with key software packages, while presentations provide a test of oral communication skills, as well as providing another mechanism for assessing case study analysis.
Feedback on Assessment
Students will receive feedback on coursework within three weeks of completion of the assessment. Feedback is usually provided electronically on formal coursework. Feedback and Guidance sessions with teaching staff are available on all modules. These provide regular opportunities to discuss feedback further. See more information about feedback on assessment.
Dr Peter Flett, Module Co-ordinator Project Management
Dr Alexander Brownlee, Module Co-ordinator Big Data Analytics
Dr Gerry Edgar, Module Co-ordinator Business Analytics
Dr Seda Erdem, Module Co-ordinator Statistics for R
Dr Tom Kane, Module Co-ordinator Business Consulting
Dr Carol Marshall, Module Co-ordinator Personal and Professional Development
Dr Najib Murad, Module Co-ordinator Consultancy Project
Dr Kevin Swingler, Module Co-ordinator Representing and Manipulating Data; and Relational and Non-relational Databases
Fees and funding
Fees and costs
|Home / EU students||Overseas students|
|Total MSc course fee||
|UK and Republic of Ireland students||Overseas students|
|Total MSc course fee||
This course is only offered on a part-time basis. The total course fee will be split over the years that you study. The total fee will remain the same and will be held at the rate it was set in your year of entry.
If you need to extend your period of study or repeat study, you will be liable for additional fees.
For more information on courses invoiced on an annual fee basis, please read our tuition fees policy.
Postgraduate tuition fee loans
This course is eligible for a postgraduate tuition fee loan from one of the UK’s governments. See the Scholarships and funding section, below, for more details.
There are some instances where additional fees may apply. Depending on your chosen course, you may need to pay additional costs, for example for field trips. Learn more about additional fees.
Scholarships and funding
Scottish students may be eligible to apply to the Students Award Agency for Scotland (SAAS) for loans of up to £10,000 to cover tuition fees and associated living costs.
English students can apply for a loan of up to £11,570 each year as part of the Postgraduate Masters Loan Scheme.
Welsh students can apply for financial support of up to £18,025 as a combination of grant and loan from Student Finance Wales.
Northern Irish students can apply for a postgraduate tuition fee loan of up to £5,500 from Student Finance NI.
We aim to be as flexible as possible, and offer a wide range of payment methods - including the option to pay fees by instalments. Learn more about how to pay
After you graduate
Our online MSc Data Science for Business was developed in partnership with industry and is designed to produce graduates with the skills that companies need. You'll be equipped for roles such as:
- Data analyst
- Data Scientist
- Enterprise Architect
- Machine Learning Scientist
- Business Intelligence Developer
Demand for employees with data analytics skills is projected to grow rapidly. Average salaries are higher in data analytics jobs than the IT average, and the skills shortage will further enhance employment prospects for data-aware graduates. The Tech Partnership UK estimate that big data professionals earn on average 31% more than other IT professionals.
HigherEd Global Talent Portal
As a Management School student, you have access to the HigherEd Global Talent Portal where you’ll find internship, trainee positions, apprenticeships and graduate positions from companies around the world. It helps international students looking for placements back at home and local students that want to explore an international experience.
The global talent portal is in addition to all other existing initiatives and resources available for you through the Careers and Employability Service, and the Target Connect vacancy and events system.
Everything you do while studying on our course is designed to help you build the skills that will make you stand out to future employers.
The course has a high level of engagement with industry, research and recruitment partners in the course design, delivery, project work and skill development activities.
You'll graduate with the ability to:
- Apply consultancy skills in projects.
- Champion data analytics projects across all types of organisations.
- Design and apply business research methods.
- Understand the impact of global environmental forces on organisations, including: legal and political systems; demographics; ethical, social, and technological change issues on data driven organisations.
What our students said
MSc Data Science for Business
Read Jewel's storyI studied MSc Data Science for Business and what I liked most was the diversity of students on the course, with students of different backgrounds, countries and ages.
MSc Data Science for Business
Read Anita's storyThe employability and personal development workshops held as part of my course were instrumental in helping me build the transferable skills required to go into the workplace.