Plan S fact sheet
What is Plan S?
- Plan S is an initiative for full immediate Open Access publishing
- Supported by cOAlition S, an international consortium of research funders
- From 1st January 2021 a number of funders have Plan S compliant Open Access policies. For example:
- Wellcome Trust
- European Commission (Horizon)
- Plus others – see list at: https://www.coalition-s.org/plan-s-funders-implementation/
- The UKRI Open Access policy will become Plan S aligned:
- for peer-reviewed research articles submitted for publication from 1st April 2022 (includes reviews and conference papers with an ISSN)
- for monographs, book chapters and edited collections published from 1st January 2024
- UKRI includes: Arts and Humanities Research Council (AHRC), Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC), Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC), Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC), Innovate UK (IUK), Medical Research Council (MRC), Natural Environment Research Council (NERC), Research England (RE), Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC).
Plan S Fact Sheet
For full details about Plan S and the specific requirements of individual Plan S funders - see our Funders Requirements page