The Information Centre is the information hub of Information Services. It is located on Level 2 of the University Library. The Information Centre staff are always ready to help with any Library and IT-related enquiries and questions about the library, digital learning technology and other information needs and services you might need to learn, research and work here.
Arrangements for the duration of the Covid pandemic
The Information Centre has remained open for business throughout the lockdown and continues to operate primarily online. Most of our staff are working remotely with a minimal face to face service in the Library.
To contact us:
- Use LiveChat on your university portal (students). 24/7
- Use UniDesk Self Service to Ask IT or Ask the Library
- Email us on firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com (IT)
- Face to face enquiries (urgent) can be taken in the Library
- Wi-Fi enquiries will be handled via a booking system to make an appointment with a Wi-Fi Wizard (This service operates at
the beginning of semester).
What can we help you with?
The Information Centre is the main Information Services enquiry point, we can therefore answer questions concerned with helping you to make use of the various facilities and services provided by Information Services:
- The University Library: space, collections and e-resources
- Staff workspace: purchasing hardware and software; software installation and support; university phones; printing and copying services
- Online learning tools including Canvas, Listen Again, Turnitin
- Communications tools: email, Teams, videoconferencing, collaboration tools
- University Learning Spaces: the central computing labs and lecture theatres
- Network and cloud file management services
- Network account administration
- University Wi-fi services: eduroam and public Wi-fi
You are welcome to bring questions to the Information Centre. Our staff will do what we can to help you within the following guidelines: the Centre offers first level support, where your question cannot be answered at the desk, it will be referred to the relevant team within Information Services.
Norman 24/7 Library and IT Support
24/7 enquiry services are available Via our partner Norman Managed Services. When you email us out of hours Norman will respond to your enquiry. They will also be answering student Library
For Library and IT and Norman availability during the holiday period see our opening hours page
UniDesk Self-Service Portal – for our staff and students
The Information Centre uses UniDesk to manage all your questions/fault reports. An enormous amount of IT information is available to you in UniDesk Self-Service Portal including:
- Huge FAQ database with very powerful search engine
- Web forms to request standard services
- Log your own call directly with IT, Library, the Student Services Hub or the Faculty of Social Sciences (all UniDesk users)
- Monitor the progress of your call or modify/update it yourself
Semester Opening Hours
IT enquiries. Mon-Fri 09:00-20.00, weekends 10.00-17.00
- core service for staff and students is 09:00-17:00 Monday-Friday
- evening and weekend service (Mon-Fri 5-8 and Weekends 10-5) is primarily in support of students and users of the Library building. Staff calls may be logged to the daytime staff if the assistant on duty is unable to assist.
Library enquiries. Mon-Fri 08.30-20.00, weekends 10.00-17.00
Vacation Opening Hours
During vacation periods the Library and IT enquiries services work at reduced capacity.
IT enquiries. Mon-Thurs 09.00-20.00, Fridays 09.00-17.00, weekends 11.00-17.00
Library enquiries. Mon-Thurs 08.30 - 20.00, Fridays 08.30-17.00, weekends 10.00-17.00
The 24/7 Study Zone and Campus Central areas adjacent to the Library are open during these periods.