Sports University of the Year
Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2020
for Sporting Excellence
Graduate careers in Sport
Our Sport courses bring together leading academics to deliver high-quality teaching in a range of areas – with a primary focus on your future employability.
You’ll graduate from our Sport degrees with a breadth of knowledge and practical experiences that can be applied to a wide range of sport related careers, from developing national sport and coaching, to management and governance.
Many of our graduates have gone on to work in jobs such as:
- sport development officers, working with sporting governing bodies to develop sport
- managers of sport facilities in sport and leisure trusts
- administrators for national governing bodies and sport policy agencies
- sport officers working with charities in developing nations to use sport to build communities
- personal trainers in health and fitness organisations
- coaches working with development teams in a number of sports, such as football and rugby
In the Research Excellence Framework 2021, 80% of our research in Sport and Exercise Sciences was classed as world leading or internationally excellent. We are 1st in Scotland for research outputs in Sport and Exercise Sciences.
Our research themes include:
- Mechanisms of change: understanding the ecological, social and biophysical processes underlying health and wellbeing
- Lifestyle and behaviour change: increasing physical activity, promoting healthy lifestyles and behaviours and reducing unhealthy behaviours
- Service delivery policy and practice: evaluating healthcare and sport interventions, health and sport policy and models of practice
Postgraduate research opportunities
Postgraduate research studies in Sport at the University of Stirling can be undertaken in diverse contexts from high performance sport to population health. Staff specialisms include genetics and molecular biology, nutrition and hydration, neuro-muscular function and physical activity. See our PhD and MPhil opportunities in the areas of: