Applied Exercise Physiology
This module provides students with the theoretical and practical skills required for applied exercise physiology testing and research. Areas covered will be:
- estimating and determining of aerobic capacity
- lactate threshold and assessment of neuromuscular function
Students will also carry out a group research project.
Days on campus
Minimum one day per week - Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, or Friday (Weeks 1-5, 7-12).
Students will need to have taken the following modules:
- Human Anatomy and Physiology 2
- Physiology of Sport and Exercise
On completion of this module students will be able to:
explain and perform a range of exercise assessments commonly used by exercise physiology practitioners
critically analyse exercise assessment data and make exercise prescriptions
develop and evaluate research questions in a group environment
deal with practical problems in laboratory, field, and community health settings
Delivery and assessment
The module will be delivered using a range of approaches including face-to-face and online activities which may include:
- live lectures, webinars and workshops
- pre-recorded lectures, videos, podcasts
- other activities such as reading, quizzes, discussion boards
Canvas (our virtual learning environment), Microsoft Teams and other tools may be used in the teaching of the module.
Dr Lewis Macgregor