Coaching as Learning
This module considers the place of pedagogy in the coaching process. The primary aims of the module therefore are to enable coaches to apply informed and integrated approaches to pedagogy in devising, managing, and implementing coaching practice; to understand a range of theories and concepts related to the application of innovative pedagogy; and, to enable coaches to apply and reflect upon pedagogy and the conditions within which athletes and coaches learn.
- Learning theories and principles
- Athlete learning
- Coaching ‘styles’ (or not)
- Coach development and learning
For those wanting to start on 2 May 2022, the application deadline is 15 April 2022.
A minimum of a second class Honours degree (2.1 preferred) or equivalent in a relevant subject. You must also have five years' appropriate work experience in coaching, and evidence of successful completion of sport-specific coaching qualifications is expected.
The objectives of the module are to:
- Investigate and appraise a range of underlying pedagogical theories informing coaching practice
- Critically apply relevant pedagogical theory to develop innovative coaching practice
- Apply a pedagogical analysis to a range of coaching contexts
- Evaluate the place of pedagogy in personal practice
Delivery and assessment
The module is delivered entirely online through pre-recorded presentations, learning materials, asynchronous discussion and tutorials.
Assessment will be an analysis to identify learning principles in coaching practice. A pedagogical analysis of the coach’s role.
Typically, individuals who apply for a Sport Performance Coaching CPD module will already be employed in
Engaging with the modules has helped coaches across the world boost their skills and advance their careers. By