Support from external agencies

If you have been affected by sexual or gender based violence or other forms of sexual misconduct, you can seek support from a wide range of specialist agencies, whether this is to report an incident, find out how to get support, or learn more about helping a friend or colleague.

Students might wish to talk to a member of staff in Student Support Services or the Students' Union to find out more, or you can make contact directly using the details below.

Staff can choose to talk to a colleague or a line manager if that would be helpful.

erase the grey

Police Scotland

If you want to report a sexual assault, call 999 in an emergency, or 101 if it is not an immediate emergency. The Police have specially trained officers who are very experienced in helping those affected by sexual assault. An officer will come to meet with you wherever and whenever you would like to talk about what has happened to you. Read more about the Police Scotland approach and the support available for victims of sexual crime

Rape Crisis Scotland

Rape Crisis Scotland provides a national rape crisis helpline and email support for anyone affected by sexual violence, no matter when or how it happened. Helpline: 08088 01 03 02. Free any day between 6pm and midnight. If you are deaf or hard of hearing on minicom number 0141 353 3091.

Rape Crisis Scotland also runs a number of centres across the country

Scotland’s Domestic Abuse and Forced Marriage Helpline

The helpline is there to support anyone experiencing domestic abuse or forced marriage, as well as their family members, friends, colleagues and professionals who support them. Visit the website for Scotland’s Domestic Abuse and Forced Marriage Helpline.

Central Advocacy Partners

The Survivors’ Advocacy Project provides an independent advocacy service to women and girls aged 16 years or over, who live in the Forth Valley area, who either: identify as or have been diagnosed with a learning disability, learning difficulties and/or autism AND who are experiencing or have experienced domestic abuse.


Falkirk and Central Scotland – Telephone: 01324 622066 (local call charges apply). National telephone: 116 123 (this number is free to call).

Victim Support

Victim Support is a free and confidential support organisation for anyone affected by crime. Free support line: 0808 16 89 111.

Forth Valley Rape Crisis

Forth Valley Rape Crisis are based in Stirling but also have regular weekly appointments on campus each Tuesday - find out more about this support service. They provide free and confidential information, advocacy and support to anyone, over 13, in the Forth Valley area affected by sexual violence.

Breathing Space

Breathing Space offer a free and confidential phone service. There in times of difficulty to provide a safe and supportive space by listening, offering advice and providing information. Telephone: 0800 83 85 87

Suzy Lamplugh Trust

The Suzy Lamplugh Trust aims to reduce risk and prevalence of abuse, aggression, and violence - with a specific focus on stalking and harassment - through education, campaigning, and support. They have a national stalking helpline for advice and support, freephone 0808 802 0300. Opening hours 9:30-16:00 Monday to Friday, apart from Wednesdays. Wednesdays 9:30 - 20:00.

Survivors UK

Male Rape and Sexual Abuse. Survivors UK can offer a range of support services including counselling and therapy appointments as well as web and SMS chat.

Airthrey Park Medical Centre

On campus Medical Centre:

Airthrey Park Medical Centre
Hermitage Road
University of Stirling
Stirling, FK9 4NJ

01786 463831
Out of Hours: 111

Stirling and District Women’s Aid

Stirling and District Women’s Aid aims to offer support, information and temporary accommodation for women and their children who have been physically, emotionally or sexually abused by a partner or former partner. Telephone: 01786 469518

Scottish Women’s Rights Centre

The  Scottish Women’s Rights Centre is a unique collaborative project that provides free legal information, advice and representation to women affected by violence and abuse.
Telephone: 08088 101 789

Refuge – Tech Safety

Abusers may use technology to control, harass or intimidate. They may carry out physical, sexual, psychological, or economic abuse using technology. 

Refuge can help you recognise tech abuse, secure your tech and access support. They also offer an interactive tech safety tool on their website.

Shakti Women’s Aid

Shakti Women’s Aid helps BME women, children and young people experiencing, or who have experienced, domestic abuse from a partner, ex-partner, and/or other members of the household.

Hemat Gryffe

Founded in 1981 Hemat Gryffe is Scotland’s first Asian, Black and Minority Ethnic Women’s Aid Group. They support women who experience gender based violence at the hands of their husbands, partners, and/or extended family members.

Sexual Assault Response Coordination Service (SARCS)

In Scotland the Sexual Assault Response Coordination Service (SARCS) is available, meaning anyone over the age of 16 can self-refer for forensic medical examination and support without a referral from a GP or other healthcare professional.

The sexual assault self-referral phone service is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week on 0800 148 88 88. Calls are free from landlines and mobiles.

The Meadows

The Meadows is the SARCS for Forth Valley. They offer a dedicated service for adults and children who have experienced sexual assault, rape or gender-based violence.

If you have been raped or sexually assaulted within the last 7 days and do not want to tell the police or are unsure about telling them now – you can self-refer to a SARCS. This means you don’t need a GP or other healthcare professional to refer you to a SARCS, you can do this yourself.

The dedicated NHS telephone number, 0800 148 88 88, is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week where you can access their services, such as gathering forensic evidence and support referrals.


FollowItApp is designed to help victim-survivors of stalking record what’s happening to them. The app is tailored to Scots law but can be used regardless of whether or not you decide to report to the police.

Abused Men in Scotland (AMIS)

AMIS provide information and support for men across Scotland who have experienced domestic abuse. Helpline open weekdays 9am-4pm 03300 949 395 or email

Revenge Porn Helpline

A UK service supporting adults (aged 18+) who are experiencing intimate image abuse, also known as revenge porn.

Telephone: 0345 6000 459 

Respect - Men’s advice line

The Respect advice line is for men experiencing domestic abuse. If you want to talk to someone, you can speak to their friendly and professional advisors on the phone, by email or on webchat.


Visit Safer.Scot for advice about domestic abuse, spiking, intimate image abuse and commercial sexual exploitation.


Galop support LGBT+ people who are victims of domestic abuse, sexual violence, hate crime, so-called conversion therapies, honour-based abuse, forced marriage, and other forms of abuse.

There are lots of different ways to contact Galop for free: call 0800 999 5428 Monday to Thursday, 10:00 to 20:00, Friday, 10:00 to 16:00 or email The team are available via webchat, where you can also get support and information about your situation.

LGBT Health and Wellbeing

LGBT Health and Wellbeing provide information and support to the entire diversity of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) community across Scotland, including queer, intersex, asexual people and all identities under the LGBTQIA+ umbrella.

Contact their helpline by phoning 0300 123 2523, 12:00 to 21:00 Tuesday and Wednesday and 13:00 to 18:00 Thursday to Sunday.

Woman on phone

In an emergency

If you're away from campus, you should call 999 to reach any of the emergency services.

If you're on campus, call the Security Team any time on 7999 (on an internal phone) or 01786 467999 (from a mobile phone) to request the Police.

If you need an ambulance, dial 999 directly to speak to a call handler. Once you have done so, call the Security Team on 7999 (on an internal phone) or 01786 467999 (from a mobile phone) to advise them that an ambulance will be arriving.