What is sexual consent?
- Sexual consent means a person willingly agrees to have sex or engage in a sexual activity. In Scotland, this is known as 'free agreement'.
- To give consent, the person must be able to make their own decisions.
- A person who is incapacitated through alcohol or drugs, or who is asleep or unconscious, cannot give consent to sexual activity.
- Agreeing to engage in one form of sexual activity e.g. kissing does not mean that a person has given consent to all forms of sexual activity
- Consent can be withdrawn at any time
- Just because a person has given consent to sexual activity once does not mean that he or she has given consent for that type of activity in the future.
- Making sure you get consent before having any kind of sex with another person really matters.
- Sexual activity without consent is rape or sexual assault.
- Someone who is being forced to do something against their will is not giving consent.