Support for students

Student talking to member of staff

Get support throughout your university journey

The University of Stirling has pulled together a complete support package for care experienced students. Whether you need financial support, accommodation or help with your studies, you can find out below how you get the help you need. 

Transitioning to life at university

  • We have a named point of contact in Student Support Services to provide information and advice on support services available to you, including money advice, accessibility and inclusion, counselling, wellbeing, mental health and spiritual support.
  • We limit the need for repeated self–declaration by asking students to register once by completing the Point of Contact Registration Form. This links you directly with the Student Support Service point of contact from day one.
  • We offer a programme of supported transition to university.

For more information email the single point of contact at

Financial support

There is a range of financial support packages available for care experienced students from various funding bodies across the UK. Click each title below to find out more. 

University grants and bursaries

Discretionary and assistance funds

The university has a suite of hardship funds that you can apply to for assistance with your monthly living costs and your annual rent (if living in university accommodation).

Eligibility to each fund will depend on your funding body, course, and level of study. You will be assessed for every fund you are eligible for under one application to the Discretionary & Assistance Funds. We assess each fund based on your annual household income and expenditure, and an award will be made if a deficit is found.

You can see the full list of funds, their eligibility criteria, and the online link to the application form on our money support webpage. Please read the application process and evidence list thoroughly before starting your application.

Care Experienced Bursary

Students with care experience are guaranteed to receive a £500 bursary from the relevant fund for every year of their course, even if no deficit is found. To be eligible for this bursary, students must be enrolled in a course that is studied over an academic year. This bursary is not available to students on short courses. We will also prioritise your Discretionary & Assistance Fund application assessment.

The Scottish Government provide the monies for each fund and due to this we are heavily audited each year. If you wish to apply for the Care Experience Bursary, please ensure that you have told us that you are care experienced by completing the Point of Contact Registration Form and providing the supporting document to confirm your experience of care.

Graduation Bursary

Students with care experience are guaranteed to receive a £150 graduation bursary in their final year of studies to cover graduation costs. To receive this you must have completed the Point of Contact Registration Form and provided the supporting document to confirm your experience of care.

SAAS (Student Awards Agency Scotland)

Care experienced undergraduate students can apply for a funding package from SAAS which includes a non-income assessed Care Experienced Students’ Bursary.

Tuition Fee Funding and Care Experienced Bursary

New and continuing care-experienced students undertaking a degree course may be eligible to apply for a non-repayable funding package of tuition fees and a non-income assessed Care Experienced Student Bursary of £9000.

You may be eligible to claim the Care-experienced Student Bursary if:

  • You have ever been looked after by a Local Authority in the UK; and
  • You are under 26 on the first day of the first academic year of your course

Care Experienced Accommodation Grant (Summer Holidays Only)

If you are care experienced and need help with your accommodation costs during the summer holiday that falls between each year of your course, you may be able to claim the Care-experienced Accommodation Grant. This currently awards a maximum of £105 per week towards your accommodation costs during the summer holidays falling between each year of your course.

You may be eligible to apply for the Care-experienced Accommodation Grant if:

  • You have ever been looked after by a Local Authority in the UK; and
  • You are under 26 on the first day of the first academic year of your course.

If you get Housing Benefit or any other benefit, you need to tell SAAS which benefit(s) you get, and how much. You must also tell them if your Social Services Department gives you any help with accommodation costs.

Download the guide to all SAAS support available (PDF)


Other UK funding bodies

If you are or will be funded by Student Finance England, Wales, Northern Ireland or another funding body outside of Scotland, you should talk to your finance provider, in the first instance, to find out all of the funding available to you.

Alternatively, you could contact our own money support team who would be happy to help: email


365-day university accommodation

We can provide you with 365-day university accommodation if you live in or wish to move into university accommodation throughout the duration of your course. To find out more about the accommodation that the University has to offer visit our accommodation webpage.

Please get in touch with Accommodation Services ( if you would like to discuss the option of 365-day accommodation.

University of Stirling Rental Guarantor Scheme

If you are looking to enter the private rental market but don't have a UK-based guarantor, you may be eligible to apply to the University of Stirling Rental Guarantor Scheme.

You must be a fully enrolled, full-time student and have at least six months left of your course to be eligible. You will find more information about the scheme and the application form on the discretionary and assistance fund webpage. Please contact the Student Services Hub at if you would like to discuss the Rental Guarantor Scheme further and they will arrange an appointment with a member of our money support team.


Laptop assistance

Laptop assistance, through a long-term loan laptop scheme, may be available to students on low incomes and students who cannot afford or access suitable electronic learning equipment.

To apply for a loan laptop, you must be fully enrolled on your course and not in receipt of Disabled Student Allowance (DSA).

If you wish to apply for a long-term loan laptop, please complete the Long-term Loan Laptop request form.


Accessibility and Inclusion (A&I)

Students with disabilities

If you have a disability (this includes mental health conditions), please register with the Accessibility and Inclusion Service (A&I) as soon as possible to begin discussions about adjustments you may require in accommodation and in your studies.

Please fill in the accessibility registration form and return this to the Student Services Hub ( You will need to provide written evidence of your disability, health condition or learning needs to us. This can be the form of an educational psychologist’s report (dyslexia or other SPLD) or a letter from your GP or consultant. A medical evidence form is available on the accessibility and inclusion webpages to assist your current doctor to document your disability. You should also return this to the Student Services Hub (

If you do not wish to access support or adjustment, or feel none are required, the University will respect this decision. You can change your mind at any time and then begin the registration process. But remember that if you don’t register, nor provide evidence, then we may not be able to fully meet your adjustment requirements or give you the support you need.

More support and services offered by Accessibility and Inclusion

Mental health and wellbeing

If you feel that you could benefit from learning new ways to help you manage your emotional wellbeing check out our webpages to find out more about the service. Our qualified counsellors and Mental Health Student Advisers support students at all stages of study. We also offer wellbeing classes and workshops, as well as one-to-one counselling sessions.

Your mental health and wellbeing

Student Learning Services (SLS)

Our Student Learning Services team run a regular schedule of workshops and tutorials to help you with your studies. You may find this service particularly useful if you:

  • are a first year student
  • are making the transition from college to university
  • have been out of education for some time
  • are finding your studies particularly challenging
Support offered by Student Learning Services


The Chaplaincy is a friendly, welcoming place, open to our students and staff of all faiths and none. Our team of Honorary Chaplains are here to give support and guidance, be it emotional, spiritual, or practical, from everyday issues to the big moments in life. Chaplains are ready to offer a confidential listening ear, and if you want to talk about your faith or have a specific religious need, we will try to make sure that someone appropriate is found to help you. The Chaplaincy runs a full schedule of regular events which all students are welcome to attend.


Peer Mentoring (STEER)

STEER is a University-wide peer support scheme linking in returning student 'Captains' with new undergraduate or taught post-graduate 'Crew', during their first year at Stirling. Whether based overseas, here for a semester abroad, undergrad or postgrad, our Captains can help everyone with the transition of settling into life at the University of Stirling.

Careers Service

Whatever stage you're at in your career search, the Careers Service can assist. From exploring your career options to applications and interviews, they can help you secure the role you want. 

Careers Service

Student Services Hub

Our Student Services Hub brings lots of services together to help you resolve a whole range of queries. You can get in touch with the Student Services Hub by calling, emailing, or visiting the Hub in Campus Central:

Chat to us: Live Chat via your portal
Monday: 9.00 - 16.30
Tuesday 10.00 - 16.30
Wednesday to Friday: 9.00 - 16.30
Saturday and Sunday: 10.00 - 14.00 

Call us: 01786 466022
Monday: 9.00 - 16.00
Tuesday: 10.00 - 16.00
Wednesday to Friday: 9.00 - 16.00
Saturday and Sunday: 10.00 - 14.00

Meet with us: in the Student Services Hub, Campus Central
Monday: 9.00 - 16.30
Tuesday: 10.00 - 16.30
Wednesday to Friday: 9.00 - 16.30
Saturday and Sunday: 10.00 - 14.00

To request a face to face enquiry you need to scan our QR code or go to our booking website to join the first come first served queue. You will be sent a text message shortly before a Student Hub Assistant is available to see you. To join after 15.30 please come to the Hub so a member of staff can add you to the queue if there is availability.

Email us: If you're a current student, please contact us from your University email account or include your student ID if you're emailing from a personal address.

British Sign Language (BSL) users can contact the University of Stirling via contact SCOTLAND-BSL, the online British Sign Language video relay interpreting service. Find out more on the contactSCOTLAND website. 


Student Union Care Experienced Volunteer Officer

Support is also available from the Student Union Care Experienced Volunteer Officer.

Volunteer Officers are elected part-time student volunteers who have specific remits and areas of work and represent and champion the rights and views of all students at the University of Stirling.

To contact the Care Experienced Volunteer Officer, please email