Over the Academic Year 2019-20, IS will begin the process of migrating staff email from a local Exchange service to the Office 365 in the cloud.
At time of writing (summer 2019), IS teams have all successfully transferred over to Office 365.
1. Practically no change to Outlook (desktop client). Only a restart is required after migration and most aspects will continue working as before.
2. Massive increase in your mailbox size - from 5GB to 99GB :-)
3. Much improved webmail service via Office 365 - really nice layout with easy fast access to the whole of Office 365 from your email.
Things to think about / be aware of
1. If you have your staff email on your mobile device, you will have to remove that setup and reinstall after your mailbox has been migrated. Attempting to modify the existing settings will not work in our experience. Alternatively, the Outlook app is much improved from earlier versions.
2. Shared mailboxes - which ones do you want to migrate to Office 365 alongside staff mailboxes? If they are not migrated at the same time, there can be some issues around access from your Office 365 mailbox.
IS will be devising a rollout plan to manage the migration gradually (probably on a Faculty / Service area basis). We will be in touch when it's your turn to move :-)