The University of Stirling has a subscription to Office 365 which means that all our staff and students can benefit from the use of this constantly evolving suite of software at work/study and on your own personal devices.
What's included in Office 365?
Teams brings everything together in a shared workspace where you can chat, meet, share files, and work with business apps.
Make use of the full functionality of Office Online – create, edit and collaborate on documents in a web browser. Or download the Office apps to work or study from anywhere!
Gather ideas and feedback from across your network of colleagues to build on the work of others and achieve better outcomes.
New apps and functionality is being introduced to Office 365 on a regular basis.
The core Office apps are available as desktop versions and also as online versions. The online versions are updated regularly with new functionality. They include:
- Word Online
- Excel Online
- PowerPoint Online
Over the Academic Year 2019-20, IS will begin the process of migrating staff email from a local Exchange service to the Office 365 in the cloud.
At time of writing (summer 2019), IS teams have all successfully transferred over to Office 365.
1. Practically no change to Outlook (desktop client). Only a restart is required after migration and most aspects will continue working as before.
2. Massive increase in your mailbox size - from 5GB to 99GB :-)
3. Much improved webmail service via Office 365 - really nice layout with easy fast access to the whole of Office 365 from your email.
Things to think about / be aware of
1. If you have your staff email on your mobile device, you will have to remove that setup and reinstall after your mailbox has been migrated. Attempting to modify the existing settings will not work in our experience. Alternatively, the Outlook app is much improved from earlier versions.
2. Shared mailboxes - which ones do you want to migrate to Office 365 alongside staff mailboxes? If they are not migrated at the same time, there can be some issues around access from your Office 365 mailbox.
IS will be devising a rollout plan to manage the migration gradually (probably on a Faculty / Service area basis). We will be in touch when it's your turn to move :-)