Staff ID FAQ

I’m a new member of staff how do I get a card?

New members of staff can get their card from HR Services and Organisation Development after they commence employment.

Once you have discovered your network account you will receive an email directing you to the secure portal page where you can upload your photo. Once you have uploaded your photo and your details have been checked you will receive an email from HR. You can then come to HR and OD Reception (Cottrell, 4B1) to pick up your card. HR and OD Reception is open on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday mornings from 0900-1200.

We have an agency temp working with us; can he or she get a card?

No, only employees of the University receive staff smartcards, you should contact IS for computer and printer access.

I am an Honorary/Emeritus member of staff; am I eligible for a card?


Can I use my card at University catering outlets?

Yes, you can use your card for cashless payments at catering outlets on campus. Processing takes between 2-4 days. You will receive a registration activation email from support@pay24/7. As soon as you have submitted your registration form, you can top up your card and use in any catering outlet – the online facility will take 2-4 days to become live. When you transfer money from your online account to your card balance, the system updates within 2 - 3 hours. If you experience any problems with this service, please email

I don’t have a digital photo of myself to submit, how do I get a photo to you?

HR Services and Organisation Development staff are able to take your photo in room 4B1, Cottrell Building, Stirling Campus. If you are not based at Stirling Campus, please contact us to make arrangements. Either email us at or call us on 01786 467136.

Can I have the picture used on my card emailed to me to update my picture on our website?

Pictures taken and used to produce your Staff ID (Smartcard) can be exported and emailed to you on request. We cannot make pictures of other people available to you. If you would like to update your website with a more current picture of your team members, you must get their permission and they must request the picture from us directly by emailing We will then email the image to them and they can forward on to you.

What should I do if I lose my card?

If your card is lost or stolen, report the loss or theft to HR Services either by phone on 01786 467136 or by email to as soon as possible after you become aware of the loss, as you will be responsible for all charges or obligations incurred through use of the card up to the time when it is reported lost or stolen.

The card will be cancelled, and a new card issued. If the missing card turns up, this should also be reported to HR Services as soon as possible. Your old card will no longer work once it has been cancelled as your record is overwritten with new details.

Replacement cards for those stolen or damaged will be free of charge. In normal circumstances replacement cards for those lost will usually cost £10.00

How will my card information, including my photo, be stored and what will it be used for?

Your card information, including your photo will be stored securely and confidentially in University information systems. Your photo will not be published to University websites or otherwise made public.

All staff or agents of the University of Stirling processing personal data, including for the purpose of preparing Staff Id (Smartcards), shall comply with the requirements of the Data Protection Act 1998, and with such additional Codes of Conduct as may be published by the University. Any data collected by an access control system will also be subject to the Data Protection Act and handled according to such additional Codes of Conduct as may be published by the University, and in particular it will not be used for monitoring or tracking purposes, except where the University is required by law to do so. Further information can be obtained from the University’s Data Protection Officer, University of Stirling, FK9 4LA, tel. 01786 466670; email

Under what circumstances will I be asked to produce my card?

To ensure the safety and security of persons and property within the University of Stirling, University Security Officers will be authorised to request the production of an individual’s Staff ID card in circumstances considered by the Security Officer to be relevant to the safety or security of individuals or property. Such requests will not be made without reasonable cause. Individuals are expected to co-operate in such circumstances, and whilst no penalty is specified for non-production of an individual’s card, Security Officers will use their knowledge and professional training to take appropriate action to deal with the situation, which may include requesting the attendance of Police Officers. Security Officers will submit full written Incident Report on any such incidents.

Am I obliged to wear my card?

Staff are encouraged to wear their cards but are not obliged to do so.

I work outside of normal office hours- how can I collect my card?

If you are unable to collect your card from HR Services and Organisation Development please contact us on 01786 467136 or by email us at to make alternative arrangements.

I’m a student and a member of staff – do I need two cards?

Yes, at this time individuals who are students and members of staff are required to have separate staff and student cards.

I’m leaving the university. What should I do with my card?

Employees leaving the University should return their card to their Faculty or Department Office or directly to HR Services on their last day of employment.

Do I need a new staff card if I change jobs or get a new contract?

No, if you have continuous employment with the University but change jobs or have your contract extended you will not need a new card.

What should I do if my card is damaged or stops working?

If your card stops working please contact HR Services and Organisation Development who will arrange for a new card to be issued. Replacements for damaged cards will be free of charge.