Advisers' FAQS

These questions have been prepared to assist your understanding of the adviser of studies role.

How will compensation be applied in practice?

Compensation will not be actioned by Faculties. PC will be added to the student record by the Student Programmes team.

Progression between semesters?

Progression decisions are made at the end of each academic year instead of every semester. Student Programmes will provide Faculties with a list of students who have failed everything in the autumn semester, the Faculty should contact these students to work out a programme of study for the future. All other students will simply continue into spring semester.

How have the honours admission criteria changed?

There is no longer any formal 'Admission to Honours' process. Students are admitted to the university with the intention of completing an honours degree, and the student will progress from year to year as long as they meet the minimum criteria:

Credits needed
Column one contains year of entry, column two contains number of credits expected, column three contains minimum number of credits needed.
Entry to year 2 120 credits 80 credits
Entry to year 3 240 credits 200 credits
Entry to year 4 360 credits 320 credits

*NB: A student with a fail in a module which is a prerequisite to a compulsory module in the next year of study will be required to take leave of absence and pass the failed module before progressing to the next year of study. Students are only permitted to proceed to the next year of study if they can make up any shortfall in the next year. i.e. a student failing 2 compulsory spring modules may have 220 credits but can’t take 5 modules the following spring. In that example, the student would be required to take leave of absence in autumn and repeat semester 4 in spring.

My advisee has 60 credits by the end of year 1 - what are their options?

In order to progress to the next year of study, a full-time student must have attained a minimum of 80 credits by the end of year 1. The student cannot progress to year 2.

They may require a period of part-time study or a repeat semester depending on their degree programme.

My advisee wants to withdraw from a module after the deadline for changes – what impact will this have on their studies?

The student will be short of credit and will need to make up the credit and will be charged for taking an additional module. If the module is a compulsory module it may mean that they can’t progress with their degree programme. An X grade will appear on their record.

My advisee is one week into their degree studies and wants to change their intended degree – what advice should I give them?

The student is advised to speak to the Adviser responsible for the degree programme they wish to transfer into. The Adviser should determine whether the change can be permitted then email the Student Programmes team (copying in the student) to request the change.

My advisee wants to change one of their compulsory modules which will change their intended degree – what should I do?

You should go through the degree programme table requirements with the student to discuss/consider whether a variant programme will be required. If a variant programme is required then you should contact Student Programme who will seek approval from the Academic Panel.

I think my advisee will need a variant programme to enable them to complete their degree programme. Who should I contact to discuss this?

You should contact the Student Programmes Team to discuss this. Student Programmes team will seek approval from the Academic Panel.

My advisee has failed their option module and it’s not being offered again next academic session – what should we do?

The student will need to take a different option next year to make up their credit.

What does 4 assessment attempts (2 module registrations) mean?

First Registration main diet, resit diet (2)
Second Registration main diet, resit diet (4)

From 2018/9 students are permitted a maximum of 4 assessment attempts. A student who has not passed a compulsory module after exhausting their 4 attempts will need to change degree programme.

There is no formal supervision required when resubmitting a dissertation or equivalent. Can any academic give the student feedback? Does the meeting need to be with the supervisor?

Students should be given feedback and have one meeting with their supervisor (or an appropriate alternative if the supervisor is not available).

What is the composition of the Education and Student Experience Academic Panel?

The panel is chaired by Dr Stephen Langton, and there is a pool of members, one representing each Faculty. Two members of the pool attend each meeting along with the Chair.

When does this panel normally meet?

Usually once a month.

Will a student taking my module on an 'assessment only' basis be able to attend seminars and lectures?

Repeating by assessment only is no longer an option. From 2018/9 students repeating a module must complete it in full.

Who should I speak to if I want further training as an adviser of studies?

You should contact the Student Programmes Team.

My advisee wants to appeal their module mark. What are their options?

The appeal regulations are outlined here.

There is no appeal against academic judgement.

Can we meet as a Faculty team with Student Programmes on a regular basis?

Yes, Student Programmes would be more than happy to meet with your team on a regular basis.

What decisions can I not make as an adviser of studies?

As an adviser you are unable to:

  • waive the requirement for a compulsory module to be completed;
  • approve an extension to a student's completion date;
  • change a student's year of study
  • approve a variant degree programme without discussion with Student Programmes;
  • authorise compensation

Requests which involve any of the above should be passed to the Student Programmes team who will seek approval from the Academic Panel.

  • Make any adjustment to a student’s fees. Requests which involve fees should be passed to the fees team: