Pay FAQ's

This page will help you find answers to the most common questions about pay. If these do not answer your query or you would prefer to speak with someone in the team, please email or phone 01786 467138.

I have not been paid my overtime this month what should I do?

Contact your line manager or Faculty/Service administrator in the first instance to confirm that your overtime details have been submitted before the deadline.

What is the PAYE reference number?

Our PAYE reference number is 961/9329319, you may require this if in contact with HMRC, eg. claiming tax credits.

How do I get a National Insurance Number (NI Number)?

Please contact the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) to apply for a National Insurance number. 

You must have the right to work or study in the UK to get a National Insurance number.  On receipt of your national insurance number please forward it to Payroll.

What statutory deductions could be taken from my pay?

Statutory Deductions include Tax and National Insurance.


Income Tax is a tax you pay on your income. Income Tax: introduction

Tax code

Your tax code is normally expressed as a letter, number, letter (e.g. S1100L) and this determines your tax free allowances. Information about tax codes

Students and Tax

If you have a job when you’re a student you may need to pay Income Tax and National Insurance, further information can be found student jobs and paying tax.

National Insurance

You pay National Insurance contributions to qualify for certain benefits including the State Pension. The type and level of NIC you pay depends on how much you earn and whether you're employed or self employed. National Insurance: introduction