Mentoring is widely recognised as a valuable tool for helping graduates with the transition into their careers or further studies.
Our mentoring programme
Our Faculty of Natural Sciences Career Mentoring Programme enables our students to link with
How our mentors help
Our mentors stay in touch with students and help by:
- Discussing their career choices and options with them.
- Assisting them to identify their skills, abilities and qualities.
- Building their confidence and assisting them to improve on their weaknesses.
- Informing them about internships and recruitment schemes open to graduates.
- Providing advice about job applications, job searching and CV writing.
- Providing opportunities for them to develop their interview skills.
- Giving them an insight into a particular industry.
The mentoring project was a great opportunity to explore what options are out there and to hear from someone who used to be in a similar situation made it even more interesting.
Eszter Karath, Student
The benefits of the scheme: for students
I’ve gained an invaluable insight into the possible options available to me with my degree. Through being partnered with a previous student I have been able to learn so much more about life after University. This has helped advance my confidence, motivation and drive with my studies as I am able to see the clear direction I hope to take and achieve.
Stephen Bewsher, Student
- Improving your existing employability skills and support the transition into graduate employment or education in your chosen field.
- Building your self-esteem and confidence.
- Providing specific insights into a particular industry and/or job role.
- Developing long-term network opportunities.
- Gaining a third-party non-judgemental perspective, for example on CVs and applications.
- Helping clarify and enhance career direction and advancement.
- Helping help you with understanding of the job market and searching for jobs.