Help and guidance for disabled students

We welcome applications from disabled students, and our services fully support students with disabilities, health conditions, specific learning difficulties or mental health conditions.

Student outside a campus building

We're with you at every stage of your university journey

If you received support at school or college, it is likely that you will be entitled to similar arrangements at university. These could include access to assistive technology, non-medical personal helpers and exam arrangements.

Don’t worry if you do not know what type of support you will need, as your adviser will meet you to help identify what will be best for you.

See the support our Accessibility and Inclusion services offer.

Pre-entry visits

Pre-entry visits are specialist visits for prospective disabled students to come and see us on campus before they start. We especially recommend visits if you have mobility or sensory impairments.

These visits are in addition to Offer Holder Days and Open Days. They offer information on facilities within the University and the local area, and can help you to find any other assistance you need in relation to your studies. This can often involve working closely with key staff in the University, as well as some external agencies.

The Accessibility and Inclusion service can advise you throughout the application stage. A lot can be done to start putting things in place even before you arrive, so please make contact as early as possible.

To arrange a visit, please contact the Student Services Hub, who will put you in touch with an Assistant Adviser from the Accessibility and Inclusion Service.

Once you have accepted a place

Once you have accepted a place, you must contact the Accessibility and Inclusion Service as soon as possible so we can assess your needs and work with you to put support in place for your time with us.

The Accessibility and Inclusion Service will help you to:

  • assess your learning needs
  • begin to compile a Needs Assessment Report that will outline any adjustments required for classes, course work, assessments and examinations
  • liaise with relevant members of staff from academic to Estates and Campus, Residential Services or Information Services and others
  • apply for Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA) or other support funding
  • contact external agencies to arrange support
  • arrange a Personal Emergency Evacuation Plan (PEEP)

For support recommendations to be fully implemented, you will be required to submit a copy of suitable supporting medical or psychological evidence e.g. a GP's letter/Audiologists report or Dyslexia Assessment etc. It is your responsibility to provide this.

If you do not have suitable evidence, then please download and print the Medical Evidence Form, and pass this to your GP to complete.

You will also need to complete the Initial Identification of Needs form. Once completed, please return it, along with the medical evidence form to Accessibility and Inclusion Service through the Student Services Hub. You can do this via email at Alternatively, you can post it to Student Services Hub, Cottrell Building, University of Stirling, Stirling FK9 4LA.

Please remember specific arrangements (especially if they include employing personal carers) can take time to put in place so get in touch with us as soon as you can.

On your arrival at University

If you have not already done so, it is recommended that you make an appointment with an adviser from Accessibility and Inclusion services to ensure support arrangements are put in place.

Go to our Accessibility and Inclusions service pages to find out more about campus life and how we can support you.

Accessibility and Inclusion service