Anti-racism, Race Equality and Interculturalism
Public declaration of anti-racism
Scotland’s universities stand united against racism: Universities Scotland has been working closely with Advance HE over recent months as it’s Steering Group on tackling racism, led by Khadija Mohammed, developed a declaration and a programme of activity to support universities and colleges to build a zero-tolerance approach to racial harassment. The project, funded by SFC, aims to develop evidence-based resources to be used by Scottish universities and colleges as they respond to the findings highlighted in the Equality and Human Rights Commission’s 2019 report 'Universities Challenged'.
CESREC (Central Scotland Regional Equality Council (CSREC)) exists and works to promote equality; fight hate crime and discrimination; foster good relations and build partnerships in the Falkirk, Stirling and Clackmannanshire Council areas. This includes a free and confidential Support and Advice Service
CESREC also provides training for organisations on racism, hate crime and race equality. They are also a Third Party Reporting Centre, where you can anonymously report hate crimes to the Police.
Shakti Women’s Aid
Shakti Women’s Aid helps BME women, children, and young people experiencing, or who have experienced, domestic abuse from a partner, ex-partner, and/ or other members of the household. They work closely with the Scottish Government, Police Scotland, NHS Scotland, and other statutory and voluntary services. They also provide training and consultancy for agencies working with BME women, children, and young people. Based in Edinburgh but they have outreach staff in Stirling.
Books, articles and resources
- Superior: The Return of Race Science by Angela Saini
- The White Racial Frame – centuries of racial framing and counter-framing by Joe R. Feagin
- Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie's
- Girl, Woman, Other by Bernadine Evaristo
- Why I’m No longer Talking to White People About Raceby Reni Eddo-Lodge
- Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic student attainment at UK universities
- Infographic from Gurnam Singh (2020) about the spectrum from racism/white supremacy to race awareness to active allyship.
- Explore resources from petitions to books and courses to help you get involved in the Black Lives Matter movement, and educated about the history of black oppression
- A list of petitions to sign, funds and charities to donate to, and resources for educating yourself and those around you
- Black History: A timeline of two millennia of world shaping individuals and momentous events that define Black history
- The National Archives: Black Presence – Asian and Black History in Britain, 1500-1850
- Black History Month website
- BBC Article: The N-word: The troubled history of the racial slur. “The term can be traced back to slavery and to many it's one of the most offensive words out there.”
- About Race podcast, by Renni Eddo-Lodge
- Good Ancestor Podcast by Layla F. Saad
- 14 best podcasts about race, black history and culture, and racism