What to bring with you

You can’t bring everything you own with you, so try to pack smart and bring just the essentials. Here are some suggestions of what not to forget!

Important documents

  • Home students: ID for completing the in-person ID check. This can be one of the following: 
    • Passport
    • Driver's licence
    • PASS accredited card such as YoungScot or Totum
    • European national identity card
  • Student visa holders will also require their visa or immigration status documents, programme of studies information, accommodation forms, CAS letter and information. Get more information on our International students welcome pages.
  • Your accommodation paperwork
A new student carrying big bags into their accommodation

Personal items

  • Clothes and footwear (be prepared for cold weather throughout late autumn and winter by bringing covered shoes and warm clothing)
  • Toiletries
  • Towels
  • Coat hangers
  • Bag or basket for your laundry
  • Stationery e.g. pens, notepad
  • Laptop
  • Bag or rucksack
  • Medicines and first aid supplies

Bed linen

If you’re staying in University accommodation you'll need to bring bedding such as pillows, a duvet, sheets, blankets, duvet covers and pillow cases with you.

Electrical equipment

Any electrical equipment that you bring with you (i.e. stereos, phone chargers, hairdryers etc.) should be Portable Appliance Tested (PAT) within one week of your arrival. Ask staff at your residence about details on how to arrange a test.


If you wish to bring any additional furniture or electrical goods into residences please contact us to request permission from accommodation staff prior to arrival.

Students talking in a room in the university accommodation

Kitchen items

All kitchens in University accommodation have a cooker, fridge, freezer, kettle and microwave oven.

You may want to bring:

  • Cutlery, dishes, mugs, glasses
  • Cooking utensils/pots and pans
  • Containers
  • Oven gloves and tea towel
  • Dish cloth

You and your flatmates might want to buy some items jointly such as:

  • Washing up liquid
  • Cleaning products
  • Bin bags
  • Toilet tissue/kitchen roll

Deep fat fryers are not allowed in any of the residences.


Willow Court, Beech Court, Juniper Court and Alexander Court (townhouse and family accommodation only) are supplied with a TV in the lounge area. The University has licensed this TV. Andrew Stewart Hall, John Forty's Court and Alangrange all have a communal TV lounge.

If you’re in any other University accommodation and wish to have a TV in your bedroom, or in the communal area of your flat, you are responsible for ensuring you purchase the correct licence.

Contact us

If you have any questions about University of Stirling accommodation, please get in touch.

You can also live chat with us via your portal: Monday to Friday 10:00-12:00 and 14:00-16:00.