BSc (Hons) Software Engineering
Are you fascinated by the creativity of technology and software? Our software engineering course gives you the skills and practical experience to jump-start your career.
- Award BSc (Hons)
- Start date September 2021, January 2022, September 2022, January 2023
- Duration 36 months or 48 months
- Mode of study Campus based
- UCAS Code G600
- Study abroad opportunities
Find out more about Changes at Stirling, including how you'll be taught, start dates and how we're making campus safer.
Are you fascinated by the creative possibilities of technology and software? Do you love solving complex problems as part of a team? If yes, software engineering could be the career for you. You’ll be in high demand for developing the systems that are the foundation and glue of our modern world, and that transform our experiences in communications, business, entertainment, gaming and healthcare.
Our degree will teach you creativity, logical analysis, problem-solving and how teamwork builds complex systems. You’ll study practice and techniques for real-world software design and associated programming technologies, gaining practical experience in software development.
According to the 2020 ScotlandIS Scottish Technology Industry survey, about 100,000 people are working in digital technologies professions. This is a growth of 9% since 2016. The growth has been strongest in web design and development, IT business analysts, architects and systems designers, programmers and software development professionals. Our graduates are highly sought-after. To help you build strong links with industry, we offer three-month summer placements and one-year placements with local SMEs and large corporates. Students also have the opportunity to engage with an international teaching environment through our exchange programmes.
Top reasons to study with us
BCS (Chartered Institute for IT)
Prizes or awards
Each year we offer the following prizes:
- Outstanding performance in 1st year Computing Science modules
- Outstanding performance in 2nd year Computing Science modules
- Outstanding performance in 3rd year Computing Science modules
- Outstanding performance in 4th year Computing Science modules
- A Faculty research prize for an outstanding research project
- BCS Glasgow prize: Best honours project
Discover Uni provides official data on each university's undergraduate courses, including satisfaction scores from the National Student Survey, details of graduate jobs and salaries, and other key information for prospective students.