Research fees and funding

You may want to think about options for funding your PhD and any associated living costs while you study. Below are some examples of the kinds of PhD studentship packages that are available. Our supervisors and support staff can help you develop and refine your proposal to match your chosen funding call.

Postgraduate research degree fees

Research degree fees (PhD and MPhil)

If you’re interested in a postgraduate research course, you can find our tuition fee rates below. Postgraduate fees are subject to change, so please check back regularly.

Studying a PhD

If you’re studying a PhD full time, fees will be payable for your first three years. For subsequent years you’ll only pay an annual 'registration-only' fee. Part-time PhD fees are payable over six years, followed by the annual 'registration-only' fee.

Studying an MPhil

If you’re studying an MPhil full-time, fees are payable for your first two years, followed by an annual 'registration-only' fee. Part-time MPhil fees are payable over four years, followed by the annual 'registration-only' fee.

Fees are charged each year and are also subject to change each year. International PhD fees for 2022/23 onwards will be fixed at the point of entry, so you will be charged the same fee each year, based on when you started your programme. 

The cost of the registration-only fee is displayed in the table below. 

Tuition fee rates for Home students
  2023/2024 fees 2024/2025 fees
  Full-time Part-time   Full-time Part-time  
All subjects and departments £4,712 £2,356 £4,786 £2,393
Registration-only fee £470 £470 £480 £480


Tuition fee rates for international students
  2023/24 fees 2024/25 fees
  Full-time Part-time Full-time  Part-time  
Institute of Aquaculture £24,400 £12,200 £25,600 £12,800
Biological and Environmental Sciences £21,400 £10,700 £22,500 £11,250
Computing Science £21,400 £10,700 £22,500 £11,250
Other subjects and departments £17,300 £8,650 £18,200 £9,100
Registration-only fee £470 £470 £480 £480

Professional Doctorate fees

Research Council Studentships

Are you a UK resident? The UK Research Councils offer a range of studentship awards which cover tuition fees and associated living costs for 3 to 4 years.

If you’re an EU resident you can also apply for Research Council awards, but usually you will be eligible for awards covering tuition fees only and not associated living costs. 

To find out if your research course is eligible for funding, contact the Research Council relevant to your chosen course:

PhD loans for students from England and Wales

If you're domiciled in England or Wales you may be eligible to apply for a doctoral loan from your regional body:

Loans can be combined with funding from your university or other sources, but not with Research Council funding, NHS funding or other direct Government funding. More information is available via FindaPhD.

Teaching assistantships

Some of our faculties offer teaching assistantships for research students, in return for undertaking part-time teaching duties.

If you take up this opportunity, you’ll receive a stipend to support you in your studies, and the amount of teaching will not normally exceed six hours per week. To find out more, you should contact your Faculty.

Employer sponsorship

If your degree is directly relevant to your work, you should think about speaking with your employer. They may give you paid leave for study, or even pay for part of your tuition fees and associated costs.

Contact us

If you have any questions about Postgraduate Research at Stirling, please contact us.