Thank you for visiting the University of Stirling ("the University") website. The website is to be used by individual persons for their own personal use only. Your use of this website is subject to the terms and conditions set out below and your accessing and use of the website constitutes your agreement to abide by such terms and conditions. If you do not agree to these terms you should leave the website immediately.
The University reserves the right in its sole discretion to modify, alter or otherwise update these terms and conditions and its web pages at any time without further notice and you agree to be bound by any modifications, alterations or updates to these terms and conditions.
1. © 2018 The University of Stirling. The copyright in material on this website is owned by the University and protected by the copyright laws of the United Kingdom, international copyright treaties and all other applicable copyright and intellectual property laws. You are entitled to copy any information for your own personal use but may not otherwise copy, reproduce, republish or distribute any such information in any manner without the prior written consent of the University. You agree not to remove any copyright notices or legends or other notices or proprietary restrictions from any of the material or information contained in these web pages. Any unauthorised downloading, retransmission, or other copying or modification of any of the contents of this website may be in breach of statutory or common law rights which could be the subject of legal action. All rights not expressly granted herein are reserved by the University.
2. Certain names, words, titles, phrases, logos, icons, graphics or designs appearing in the pages of this website may constitute trade names or unregistered trade marks of the University or a third party. The display of any of the above trade names or trade marks on pages at this website does not imply that any licence has been granted to any third party in respect of the same. All third party product or company names and devices, logos, icons, graphics or designs appearing on this website are exhibited only in such a manner as is intended to be for the benefit of such trade mark owners and the University intends no infringement of such trade marks. The appearance or absence of products, services, companies, organisations, home pages or other websites on this website does not imply any endorsement or non-endorsement thereof by the University. All rights not expressly granted herein are reserved by the University.
3. All information (including but not limited to data, ideas, suggestions, concepts and graphics) submitted to the University through this website will become the exclusive property of the University. The University will not be subject to any obligation of confidentiality and will be free to use the information for any purpose. All data collected from this website is intended for [internal marketing purposes only] by the University. Information on what data is held about you can be obtained by writing to [The University Secretary], The University of Stirling, Stirling, FK9 4LA, Scotland, UK.
4. When you view the website some information may be stored on your computer. This information will be in the form of a “cookie” or similar file and will help the University improve your browsing experience. With most Internet browsers, you can erase cookies from your computer hard drive, block all cookies or receive a warning before a cookie is stored. Please refer to your Internet browser instructions or help screen or learn more about these functions.
5. The information, materials and functions contained in the website including text, graphics, links or other items are provided on an “as is” basis. To the fullest extent permitted by applicable law the University disclaims all warranties, representations, understandings whatsoever, express or implied, specifically including but not limited to warranties of satisfactory quality or merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, freedom from computer viruses, and non-infringement of third parties' rights.
6. The website incorporates certain sections where web pages are personal and external web pages may be authored by third parties. The contents of personal and external web pages remain the sole responsibility of the author. The University shall not be liable for the content of such web pages, regardless of such web pages being linked to the University’s official web pages.
7. The University shall not be liable for any direct or indirect, special, incidental or consequential loss or damage whatsoever including without limitation, damages for loss of profits, contracts, data, goodwill, work stoppage and computer failure resulting from the use of or inability to use, interruption or availability of this website, its operation or transmission, computer viruses, loss of data or otherwise in respect of the use of the website and howsoever caused even if the University shall have been advised of the possibility of such damages. All implied warranties, implied undertakings, implied representations, and/or implied conditions relating to the website, its content and/or any third party sites are hereby excluded to the fullest extent permissible by law. The University further excludes any liability for any errors or omissions from information, materials and functions included in this website except to the extent that such liability may not be lawfully excluded under the applicable law. To the fullest extent permitted by applicable law the University disclaims all liability for negligence.
8. You are able to link to any page on the website. You are not permitted however, to frame or page-jack the website. You are not permitted to use any robot, spider, other automatic device or manual process to monitor or copy the website or the content expressed herein, other than for search engine indexing. Such search engines are expected to comply with the 'Robots Exclusion Protocol' as set out in robots.txt files on the website. The University is not responsible for nor assumes any liability for the contents of other websites or home pages which are linked to the University's web pages. The University shall have no liability in respect of material hyperlinked to the University's web pages which may be misleading, inaccurate, defamatory, threatening or obscene or otherwise not in accordance with such regulations as may be from time to time in force. The provision by the University of a link to another website does not constitute any authorisation by the University to you to access materials held at that location, nor is it evidence of any endorsement by the University of the material held there.
9. The University operates this website from Stirling, Scotland and makes no representation that the information contained herein is appropriate or available for use in other locations outside the United Kingdom. You are responsible for compliance with any applicable laws of the country from which you are accessing the website.
10. These terms and conditions shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of Scotland. You agree to submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the Scottish courts. You are responsible for compliance with any applicable laws of the country from which you are accessing this website.
If you have any questions concerning the terms and conditions please write to the University Secretary at the address specified in paragraph 3 above.
© 2018. The University of Stirling.
All rights, including copyright, in the content of this website are reserved by the University of Stirling. In accessing these Web pages, you agree that any downloading of content is for personal, non-commercial reference only. No part of this website may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise, without the prior consent of the University. For rights clearance please contact the Web Author at email@example.com, External Relations. © 2018. The University of Stirling.
The content of the University’s external website is maintained by the Web Author. At departmental and other levels, content is maintained locally. Whilst every attempt is made to ensure that information is accurate and up-to-date, some information is subject to change. The University will not be held liable for information that is subject to change and reserves the right to alter the content of the external website at any time.
At the University of Stirling, a higher education institution and charity registered in Scotland (Charity Number: SC011159) and whose main address is at Stirling FK9 4LA (“the University”) we respect your personal privacy and we support the protection of your privacy on our website at www.stir.ac.uk (or such other URL that may replace it).
This policy outlines the information that we collect when you visit the website and explains how the information we collect is treated. By using the University’s website you consent to the collection and use of your personal information (where provided) in accordance with this policy. The policy is subject to change. If we make any substantial changes we will notify you by posting a prominent notice on this website or, if appropriate, by emailing you.
The website may contain links to and from the websites of third parties. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies and the way in which they manage their data. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these third party websites.
The University is a data controller for the purposes of The Data Protection Act 1998. All personal data collected by the University will be held and processed in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998.
Where you use our website we will collect and process the following personal data about you:
The University will not capture or store your personal data via our website without your knowledge and consent.
We use personal data held about you in the following ways:
You have the right to ask for a copy of the information held by us in our records (a subject access request) in return for which we charge the statutory fee of £10. To request a copy of the data held about you or to update information, please contact the Data Protection Unit (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The records of the University are subject to the terms of the Freedom of Information (Scotland) 2002 Act. The Act gives individuals a general right of access to all types of recorded information, held by the University, subject to certain limitations.
The University aims to keep your personal data up to date and welcomes any updates to your details or corrections to any inaccuracies you choose to provide. You have a right to request copies of the data held about you, and if information held by us is incorrect, you have the right to ask for this to be corrected. Please help us keep our records updated by informing us of any changes to your email address and other contact details. To request a copy of the data held about you or to update information, please contact the Data Protection advisor (email@example.com).
Transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. The University will do our best to protect your personal data, although we cannot guarantee the security of data transmitted to the website.
Any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use appropriate organisational and security measures to prevent unauthorised access to your personal data.
The data that we collect from you may be transferred to, and stored at, a destination outside the European Economic Area ("EEA"). It may also be processed by staff or by partners operating outside the EEA who work for us or for one of our suppliers, agents, or partners. By submitting your personal data, you agree to this transfer, storing or processing.
Where you have been provided with (or where you have chosen) a password which allows you to access certain parts of the website, you are responsible for keeping the password safe and confidential. You must not share a password with anyone.
The University's website does not automatically capture or store personal data from visitors to the website, other than to log your IP address and session information. We keep logs of the University's web server activity. The University uses log files to analyse usage of our website, and we may archive them in an anonymous format for historical records. Session information that we analyse includes the time and duration of your visit to the website, the files requested, and the browser used.
We may collect information (where available) about your IP address, operating system and browser type. This is data about users' browsing actions and patterns. It is used to inform improvements to the website, for system administration, and to assist in providing the most relevant content to suit your requirements.
Our log files include IP addresses that are anonymised. This information will only be accessed by authorised persons of the University or its partners.
For example, where we read an IP address for a student from India it will allow us to provide tailored information relating to scholarships relevant to students from India. Or, if we read an IP address for a student from China it may allow us to provide information about visa applications relevant to students from China, etc. Tailored information improves the user experience on our website.
We use several types of cookies for a range of reasons across the University website. Some are essential, while others you can opt out of or block.
We use the following cookies on www.stir.ac.uk :
|Analytics cookies||Google, Google Analytics||These cookies are used to collect information about how visitors use our site. We use the information to compile reports and to help us improve the site. The cookies collect information in an anonymous form, including the number of visitors to the site, where visitors have come to the site from, and the pages they visited.
Session cookies are used to ensure that you are recognised when you move from page to page within one site and that any information you have entered is remembered. Without this cookie, every page you visited would treat you as a new visitor.
|Tracking cookies (social media)||Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Linkedin, Instagram||These social media platforms set cookies for advertising or remarketing purposes: enabling us to serve more tailored advertising as well as helping improve our site for users.|
|Tracking cookies (media)||Vimeo, YouTube||We embed videos from our official YouTube and Vimeo channel using their privacy-enhanced mode. This mode may set cookies on your computer once you click on the video player, but will not store personally-identifiable cookie information for playbacks of embedded videos using the privacy-enhanced mode.|
|Third Party cookies (advertising)||Google offer products such as AdSense, Adwords, Google Analytics and a range of Double-Click branded services.
These may be set from a few different domains, including google.com, doubleclick.net, invitemedia.com, admeld.com, googlesyndication.com, or googleadservices.com.
It serves purposes such as measuring interactions with the advertising on that domain and preventing the same advertising from being shown to you too many times.
Some of our other cookies may be used to measure conversion events as well. For example, DoubleClick and Google Analytics cookies may also be used for this purpose.
There are a number of reasons why a cookie may be stored on your devise following a visit to the University website.
These cookies are placed on your device either by the University or by the third parties whose services we use as part of the website.
Most web browsers allow some control of most cookies through the browser settings. To find out more about cookies, including how to see what cookies have been set and how to manage and delete them, visit https://www.aboutcookies.org.
Opting out or blocking some cookies may affect the functionality of the website. To opt out of being tracked by Google Analytics across all websites visit https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
If you have any queries or concerns about privacy on the University of Stirling website please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.