Forth Environmental Resilience Array (Forth-ERA)
Supporting business decision-making
Our team of scientists bring data to life. We offer services in sensor networks, satellite mapping, drone surveys, artificial intelligence and data visualisation.
Data applications can:
- Effectively monitor peatland restoration, coastal stability and salt marshes and remote water bodies.
- Provide near-real time detection and monitoring of wastewater discharges from treatment works.
- Assist harbour authorities with information on sedimentation and navigation waterways.
- Provide data about marine ocean currents and waves for shipping, optimising routes to improve safety, reduce fuel and improve time efficiencies.
- Monitor changes in soil moisture and river levels to provide early flood warnings.
For example, we help Scottish Water implement innovative cost-cutting solutions to monitor drinking water quality by providing access to real time data flow. We provide early warning information to SEPA, Scotland's principal environmental regulator, on floods and drought in areas at risk of coastal, river and flash flooding.
We have already demonstrated how providing additional information on the quality and quantity of water across the continuum of inland to coastal waters can support and inform the actions of businesses and regulators across the Forth Valley.
These included providing:
- additional ways to monitor water quality in drinking water reservoirs
- near real-time forecasts of bathing water quality
- early warning and monitoring of floods
- real time data on water temperature (useful for the brewing and distilling sectors)