The mission of the University of Stirling is to be an institution of distinction that is ambitious, accessible and self-reliant, and whose purpose is to develop these qualities in our students, staff and the communities we serve.
The University is committed to providing one of the best student experiences in the UK, and to creating a community in which our students can succeed and achieve their potential. In doing this, we work in partnership with both students and the Students’ Union, and undertake significant external engagement with local, national and international communities, business networks and industry contacts. We consistently aim to support your studies and ambitions and in all our activities, the University strives to ensure that we consistently put the interests of students first.
As part of our commitment to the student experience, the University aims to create a community that is based on support, transparency, and a culture of respect for equality and diversity. In line with this, we expect that as a student, you will conduct yourself in a way that is consistently appropriate within the University community, and in terms of the Student Charter.
The Charter is designed to ensure that you are well informed about your responsibilities as a student of the University of Stirling, and applies to all students, and across both physical and virtual environments. In enrolling as a student at the University, you are required to agree to abide by the Charter.
In addition to the Student Charter a number of other University policies and codes set out specific conduct requirements. These relate to areas including (but not limited to):
- University accommodation
- Parking on campus
- IT use
- Equality and diversity
- Health and safety
The Students’ Union also has a range of policies in place that relate to student conduct, and specifically to discipline. These can be accessed on the Students' Union website.
The Student Charter
- I agree to abide by the policies and regulations that govern enrolled students of the University of Stirling, throughout the duration of my studies.
- I agree to support the University’s Equality, Diversity and Inclusion approach, which promotes equality for all staff and students. As such, my conduct will contribute to the maintenance of a diverse and fair University community that respects and protects the interests and goals of all students, and the University of Stirling’s mission and vision.
- I will take responsibility for my own learning and participate in, and engage constructively with, teaching and learning, and development opportunities, academic supervision, feedback and support, and University services as required, in order to support my learning.
- I will submit material for assessment that is my own work. All quotations, ideas, data or information taken from public or private sources will be explicitly acknowledged and I will abide fully with the University’s policy on academic misconduct, which can be accessed here.
- I acknowledge that the campus is a place of study and work, and for many it is also their home. I agree to conduct myself in a manner that ensures my behaviour is consistently respectful and considerate to all other members of the University community, visitors to the campus, and to the campus facilities and grounds.
- I will behave responsibly and appropriately on all occasions in the communities surrounding the campus, and elsewhere in the wider public community during my time as a student.
- I accept that as a member of the University of Stirling community, in all my interactions my behaviour reflects directly upon the University. This includes activity relevant to my programme of study, external placements, research, and participation or engagement in extra-curricular activities, and I agree to conduct myself appropriately as a representative of the University of Stirling.
- I have a right to freedom of speech and expression and recognise that this carries responsibility along with it. I accept that I should exercise this right in all my communications and interactions with fellow students, staff and members of the public in a way that is appropriate and that does not represent abuse, bullying, harassment, threat, defamation, slander or libel.
- I will be courteous and professional when interacting with staff and fellow students and expect that University staff will be consistently fair, courteous, efficient and professional in their interactions with me.
- I accept that any conduct which does not align with the Student Charter will be taken seriously by the University and that action may be instigated as a result in line with Ordinance 2 Code of Student Discipline and/or the
University’s Policy and Procedure on Fitness to Study.