Duthie AB, Cusack JJ, Jones IL, Minderman J, Nilsen EB, Pozo RA, Rakotonarivo OS, Van Moorter B & Bunnefeld N (2018) GMSE: an R package for generalised management strategy evaluation. Methods in Ecology and Evolution, 9 (12), pp. 2396-2401. https://doi.org/10.1111/2041-210x.13091
1. Management strategy evaluation (MSE) is a powerful tool for simulating all key aspects of natural resource management under conditions of uncertainty.
2. We present the R package GMSE, which applies genetic algorithms to provide a generalised tool for simulating adaptive decision‐making management scenarios between stakeholders with competing objectives under complex social‐ecological interactions and uncertainty.
3. GMSE models can be agent‐based and spatially explicit, incorporating a high degree of realism through mechanistic modelling of links and feedbacks among stakeholders and with the ecosystem; additionally, user‐defined sub‐models can also be incorporated as functions into the broader GMSE framework.
4. We show how GMSE simulates a social‐ecological system using the example of an adaptively managed waterfowl population on an agricultural landscape; simulated waterfowl exploit agricultural land, causing conflict between conservation interests and the interest of food producers maximising their crop yield.
5. The R package GMSE is open source under GNU Public License; source code and documents are freely available on GitHub.
adaptive management; conservation conflict; ecological modelling; game theory; management strategy evaluation;
Methods in Ecology and Evolution: Volume 9, Issue 12