Awards recognise dedicated efforts of University staff
Eleven members of staff were presented with long-service awards at a special celebration recently, after 25 years of dedicated service to the University.
The members of staff – who have collectively completed more than 275 years of work at the University – work in a diverse range of roles, including administration, cleaning, technical support and lecturing.
Gillian Geddes, PA to the Head of School and Office Manager in Stirling Management School, began her career at Stirling in April 1988. “The biggest change,” she said, “is the way new technologies have made it easier for staff to do their jobs.”
“In the late eighties, there was only one communal computer in each office. We had to make several paper copies of everything and store them in huge filing cabinets, whereas now everyone’s got their own personal computer on their desk and documents and files can be stored electronically.”
She added: “My favourite aspect of working at the University is the beautiful campus and being able to make use of the outstanding sports facilities.”
Based in the Division of Psychology, Professor Roger Watt, who joined the University in October 1988, has many fond memories of his experience at Stirling. He said: “In the early years the University was much smaller so I knew most of the staff and wandering across the link bridge was more often interrupted by meeting people I knew. The best aspect of my time here is the long list of friends I have made.”
Over the years, Roger has enjoyed playing the trumpet in lectures and is always surprised to bump into former students who recall his unique lecturing style.
The event, held in Stirling Management Centre, was hosted by Professor Gerry McCormac, Principal and Vice-Chancellor, and Eileen Schofield, University Secretary and Chief Operating Officer.
The Principal thanked the members of staff for their years of effort and commitment. He said: “The University relies on the quality of its staff to deliver a quality student experience and education. The individuals recognised today have shown tremendous dedication and this is one way we can acknowledge and celebrate the positive impact they have made on the University.”
25 years’ service:
- Mrs Debbie Faichney, Senior Technician (School of Natural Sciences)
- Mrs Gillian Dreczkowski, Lab Manager/Analytical Technician (School of Sport)
- Prof Roger Watt, Professor, Psychology (School of Natural Sciences)
- Miss Elizabeth Carroll , Institute Administrator (Stirling Management School)
- Mr Michael McDonald, Chief Technician (School of Arts and Humanities)
- Mr Colin Gordon, Microsoft Systems Specialist (University Services)
- Prof Alexandra Adams, Professor, Aquaculture (School of Natural Sciences)
- Mrs Jane Barber-Fleming, Administrative Assistant (School of Arts and Humanities)
- Prof Paul Freathy, Professor, Marketing & Retail, Stirling Management School
- Mrs Margaret Donald, Cleaner (University Services)
- Mrs Gillian Geddes, PA & Office Manager (Stirling Management School)
Above: Staff at the presentation ceremony. Photo: Michael Rea