What is university Clearing?
You can enter Clearing if you didn’t get the results you were hoping for – or if you did better than you thought you would. UCAS Clearing gives you the opportunity to secure your university place by applying through the Clearing process.
What is Clearing for university?
Clearing at university is part of the UCAS application process for undergraduates. It’s a way of matching students without a university place to universities who have course places to fill. Once your results are available, you can see if you’re eligible for Clearing by checking UCAS Hub. This also is where you’ll find your Clearing number.
You can use university Clearing to find a course place if:
- you didn’t receive any offers
- you declined offers you did receive
- you didn’t meet the criteria for conditional offers for your chosen universities
- you applied after 30 June and were automatically entered into Clearing
Clearing is about preparation, acting fast and picking up the phone to us as soon as you get your results. Find out how to get prepared for Results Day.
Wondering what to do next? Let us explain.
When can I apply for UCAS Clearing?
University Clearing opens on 5 July 2024, and remains open until September 2024. For the majority of students, Clearing will begin in August 2024 when A-level and SQA results are published.
The deadline for adding Clearing choices is 21 October 2024.
Already have an offer from another university?
Holding another offer does not stop you coming to the University of Stirling. If you contact our Clearing helpline we'll be happy to check your eligibility and talk you through the processes involved.
Can I still apply for a student loan in university Clearing?
Yes, you will need to contact your relevant student finance organisation. Keep all your important documents and identification to hand, as this will make the application process run smoothly.
- England: GOV.UK student finance
- Northern Ireland: Student Finance NI
- Wales: Student Finance Wales
- Scotland: Student Awards Agency Scotland (SAAS)
- Republic of Ireland: Students from the Republic of Ireland who are living in the Republic of Ireland, who have been ordinarily resident in the Common Travel Area of the UK, Islands or Ireland for three years prior to the relevant date (for autumn start courses this is 1 August) who are studying in Scotland will be eligible to apply for a tuition fee loan of up to £9,250 from SAAS. Find out more on the SAAS website.
Once you've secured your place at Stirling through the UCAS Clearing process, you'll receive a confirmation email from us. This will have your Applicant Number on it. We'll send you an email in the weeks after accepting your place with instructions on how to apply for accommodation at Stirling.
If you're from England, Northern Ireland, Wales, Republic of Ireland or international, we’ll guarantee you an offer of University-managed accommodation in your first year of study if you meet the eligibility criteria. Your accommodation application must reach us by 31 August.
Why should I choose Stirling?
We may be slightly biased, but we think Stirling’s a great place to live and study in. We’re less than an hour from both Glasgow and Edinburgh airports, with great bus and train links – so you’ll never be too far from home.
At the University of Stirling, we like to think that we offer a student experience that is second to none. Our campus welcomes people from all walks of life. It’s a place where ability, not background, is valued.
We’re a university with a pioneering spirit and a passion for breaking new ground – creating impact in everything we do. Come and join us.