Other sources of funding and income

If the funding you receive from your funding body is insufficient to cover your study costs, there is a range of alternative sources of funding and income to help you through your study which you may wish to explore.

  • Scholarships
  • Funding from trusts and charities
  • Part-time, seasonal, or vacation work

Fees and funding information for all students.

Funding from trusts and charities

There are a variety of different grants available to students studying at university, which can provide additional support. These are provided through charities and trusts for students who meet certain eligibility criteria specific to each grant. Eligibility may include:

  • where you live
  • you/your parents' occupations
  • whether you have been looked after in local authority care
  • disability
  • religious background
  • ethnicity
  • lifestyle (e.g. vegetarian)
  • surname
  • other specific purposes as stated in their eligibility criteria.

A list of charities and trusts which accept applications from students meeting the eligibility requirements  can be found at: Register of Education Endowments - SAAS

Additional trusts

The Cross Trust

The Cross Trust was established by Sir Alexander Cross to carry out his wish to provide opportunities for young men and women of Scottish birth or parentage to extend the boundaries of their knowledge of human life. This expression of intent is interpreted along with other documents set out by Sir Alexander, and in the light of personal knowledge of his wishes.

Highland Childrens Trust

Various awards available between £200 to £500 are available from the Highland Childrens Trust.

Students can apply if you are under 25 from the Highland Council area of Scotland, studying for a first degree and finding it hard to manage financially at university or college.

Leverhulme Trade Charities Trust

Leverhulme Trade Charities Trust

If your parent or spouse is a grocer, pharmacist, or commercial traveller, or you are employed yourself in this capacity, you could qualify for a bursary of up to £3,000 a year towards the cost of an undergraduate degree (up-to £5000 for postgraduate).

The John Watsons Trust

The John Watsons Trust

Grants given to young Scottish disabled individuals. Provides help with all expenses incurred by education and training, including help with the cost of trips, books, and travel expenses. Priority is given to applications from people from Lothian region. Grants range from £30 to £2000.

The Vegetarian Charity

The Vegetarian Charity

Grants are available to help young vegetarians and vegans who are currently experiencing financial difficulties.

The Vegetarian Charity's Trustees consider applications for financial assistance from vegetarians and vegans up to and including the age of 25 years for specific courses, projects, or equipment, or in cases of individual poverty.

Grants are not available for the purposes of paying off debts or in cases where the financial hardship is not current but anticipated. Grants do not normally exceed £500.00.

The Gen Foundation

The Gen Foundation is a charitable trust which supports the research and study of Natural Science. The aim of the foundation is to enhance the importance of cross-cultures between Japan and the rest of the world in today’s global society.

The Foundation is supporting those who excel in the areas of natural sciences, in particular food sciences and technology.

To be eligible for the Gen Foundation Grant, an applicant must study and/or research in the field of natural sciences, in particular food sciences and technology and should hold a bachelor’s degree or equivalent.

The Foundation does not support undergraduates, short-term training, conferences, seminars, or thesis writing – such applications will not be considered.

The Carnegie Trust

The Carnegie Trust for the Universities of Scotland provide grants to undergraduate students, and postgraduate and academic researchers. This includes undergraduate tuition fee grants. Information on the scope and eligibility criteria for the different award schemes is available on their webpage.

The McGlashan Charitable Trust

The McGlashan Charitable Trust was founded in 1992 and has supported access to education for the last 30 years. It provides grants to students, currently exclusively for postgraduate study. The eligibility criteria for applying to the trust is available on their webpage.

Part-time, seasonal, or vacation work

Can I work and study?

  • Yes! Some students may require another source of income, but it can also give you valuable work experience.
  • You will need to find a good work/study balance to ensure you still do well in your studies and don’t wear yourself out.
  • If you are an international or European student, there may be visa or other regulations which affect your employment. Find out more visa regulations.

Where can I find jobs?

Our Careers Service is one place to start looking for part-time and vacation jobs, internships, volunteer opportunities and more.

  • Find opportunities promoted by the University’s Career Service through TARGETconnect
  • Check out our advice on gaining experience through part-time work on Canvas
  • There are many other employment websites out there, some have options to only search for suitable employment alongside integrated application submission

Get more information on part-time, seasonal and vacation employment through our Careers Service

Useful Employment Information

Income tax

If I'm a student, do I have to pay tax?

  • It depends on how much you earn. Everyone can earn a certain amount before they pay tax or national insurance. This is known as your 'personal allowance'. If you have more than one job, you still have one personal allowance. Read more about personal allowances.
  • If you work in semester time and vacations, the normal tax rules apply to you. See the HMRC website for more information.

How can I make sure I don't pay too much income tax?

  • If you start a job and you haven't got a P45 (a statement from your previous employer about your earnings and tax), ask to fill out a P46 instead.
  • If you leave a job, make sure your employer gives you a P45 to hand on to your next employer.
  • If you are clearly earning less than your personal allowance or if your tax codes ends in 'BR' (that means you do not have any personal allowances) you can ring a tax office to sort things. Find out your employer's PAYE tax reference number and then telephone the relevant tax office. Find the telephone number.
  • You could use HMRC's online checker if you think you may have paid too much. That site has information on what to do next.

The work I'm doing is classed as self-employment, what should I do?