Morrison J, Oram R & Ross A (2009) Gogar, archaeological and historical evidence for a lost medieval parish near Edinburgh. Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland, 139, pp. 229-255. http://archaeologydataservice.ac.uk/archives/view/psas/contents.cfm?vol=139&CFID=148316&CFTOKEN=BF718B4D-7ACC-4DED-BA7468CCA3643878
The parish of Gogar, located just to the west of Edinburgh, ceased to exist shortly after the Reformation. The name ‘Gogar' survives in various modern place-names but extensive recent development has obliterated most of the historic topography of the former parish. Redevelopment of the site of the former Gogarburn Hospital for the new global headquarters of the Royal Bank of Scotland led to archaeological investigations in 2003 that identified part of the medieval fermtoun of Nether Gogar. The results of the archaeological investigations have been combined here with historical research to present a reconstruction of the ‘lost' parish, focusing on evidence for the fermtoun of Nether Gogar in the medieval period (ad 1200-1600).
Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland: Volume 139