Robinson L, Jarvie G, Gratton C, Sparks L, Morrow S & Minikin B (2011) Developing the capacity of the Malaysian Sport Industry: A programme of capacity building research. Sportswork Group SDN.BHD. University of Stirling.
First paragraph: In May 2011, The University of Stirling - Scotland's University for Sport Excellence - was contracted to carry out a programme of research into building the capacity of the Malaysian Sport Industry in order to raise the profile of Malaysia as a sporting nation on the international stage.
The research programme was divided into five themes:
1. A benchmarking of the sport industry in Malaysia was carried out in order to understand the contribution that the sport industry makes to the Malaysian economy.
2. An evaluation of the capacity and functioning of National Sports Associations was carried out in order to establish the ability of these organisations to contribute to a ‘sport industry' and raise the profile of Malaysia on the world stage.
3. An evaluation of sport retailing in Malaysia was carried out in order to enable the provision of products and services to consumers and to provide focal points for the development and maintenance of sports brands.
4. An investigation into the funding of Malaysian sport and potential avenues of financing sport was carried out in order to identify additional methods of funding the sport industry.
5. Proposals for sponsorship mechanisms within Malaysian sport have been developed so that sport can benefit from Malaysia's thriving economy.