Brexit: information for new EU students

Information for EU students on studying and working here after the UK leaves the EU, including healthcare, visas, Erasmus+ and Republic of Ireland students.

Quick overview to studying and fee status

This overview explains the status of new EU students following decisions taken by the Scottish and UK Governments. Current EU students studying at Stirling can find information on our Brexit information page.

Arriving before 31 December 2020

Information for EU students starting a full degree in 2020-21 and beyond, who are arriving in Scotland before 31 December 2020.

  • Eligible for home fee status in Scotland for the duration of your study.
  • EU students enrolling in 2020 are eligible for tuition fee support from the Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS).
  • Eligible to apply for the UK’s EU Settlement Scheme, allowing you to remain in the UK after studying, provided you have applied by 30 June 2021.

Arriving after 31 December 2020

Information for EU students starting a full degree in 2020-21 and arriving in Scotland after 31 December 2020.

  • EU students enrolling in February 2021 are eligible for tuition fee support from the Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS).
  • Will need to apply for a student visa through the new Student route.
  • Will be eligible to apply for the Graduate route

Starting in 2021-212 arriving after 31 December 2020

Information for EU students starting a full degree in 2021-22 and arriving in the UK after 31 December 2020.

  • Are not eligible for home fee status and tuition fee loan.
  • Will need to apply for a student visa through the new Student route.
  • Will be eligible to apply for the Graduate route.
  • Some students who are starting an undergraduate course in 2021/22 may be eligible to apply for home tuition fees, if they are progressing from a Higher National qualification.

Republic of Ireland students

Applicants from the Republic of Ireland starting their studies in 2021-2022 will be classed as ‘home’ student status as a result of the Common Travel Area agreement. They will therefore be exempt from international fees.

Latest UK government guidance for EU students

No-deal Brexit and healthcare

In a no-deal scenario, European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) cover for both UK and EU students may cease. However, the UK Government has confirmed that it will cover the cost of healthcare for UK students who begin their courses in the EU ahead of the UK’s exit date, and for the full duration of their courses.

Beyond this, the UK Government aims to establish reciprocal healthcare arrangements with each EU member states, valid for a limited time, in the event of a no-deal exit.

EU students commencing courses after exit date, therefore, will be subject to the reciprocal arrangements between the UK and the country of origin and may require third party cover, depending on the length of their course.

Visa information for EU nationals

New EU, EEA, or Swiss students arriving in the UK from 1 January 2021 will need to apply for immigration permission before travelling to the UK.

You will be able to apply under the new points-based system, now called the Student routeThis visa route comes into force from 9am on 5 October and you will be able to apply for entry clearance overseas from that date. Again, this route will only be open to students coming to the UK from 01 January 2021.

If you are unsure if these changes affect you please contact our Student Immigration Team at

Please note that if you are an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen currently living in the UK, you and your family should apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living in the UK. The EU Settlement Scheme is open. You can apply now if you meet the criteria. The deadline for applying is 30 June 2021.

The most up to date information can be found on the government's website: UK points-based immigration system: EU student information.

Irish citizens

Irish citizens will continue to be able to enter and live in the UK as they do now.





Living and working in the UK after graduation

EU Settlement Scheme

In advance of the UK’s exit from the European Union (EU), the UK government has committed to protect the rights of EU citizens and their family members currently living in the UK.

This includes the right to live, work and access public services such as healthcare and benefits.

To retain these rights, EU citizens must apply to the EU Settlement Scheme. The deadline for applying is 30 June 2021.

Find out more about the EU Settlement Scheme.

The Graduate Immigration Route is a new UK post-study work visa. It is set to be introduced for international students completing a UK degree from the summer of 2021 or after. Exact details for the new Graduate Route are still being clarified. It is expected to pass into legislation in Spring 2021. Some information is available on the UK Home Office blog.

Erasmus and Study Abroad

Information for new EU students on Erasmus+ and Study Abroad.


The University of Stirling is currently participating in the Erasmus+ programme and will continue to do so until further notice. Students who are due to undertake an Erasmus+ study or work placement during the 2020/21 academic year will be able to receive Erasmus+ funding for the duration of their period abroad.

The UK’s participation in the next Erasmus programme will depend on the outcome of negotiations between the UK and the EU. The University of Stirling will continue to offer study abroad opportunities in Europe, regardless of the outcome of negotiations. We continue to work closely with our European partner institutions to ensure that current exchange opportunities will still be available to students in the future.

See the latest information from Erasmus+ or contact us at if you have any questions related to the programme.

Study Abroad

Opportunities to study abroad will continue to be available post-Brexit. Students with a compulsory period abroad can contact the relevant Faculty to discuss their options.  ​

Please note that those spending a semester or year abroad will continue to pay their tuition fees to the University of Stirling, so there are no tuition fees due to a host institution. All other living costs as well as international travel and insurance are the student’s responsibility. The availability of mobility grants will depend on whether or not the UK remains part of the Erasmus+ programme following the UK’s withdrawal from the EU.

Support and resources

The Students’ Union is here to support you and further information can be found on their website.

See a range of resources about Brexit from the UK Council for International Student Affairs.

Trained citizens advice bureau advisers can be contacted on 0800 916 9847 or visit

View the latest information compiled by Universities UK on the implications of Brexit.

The UK Council for International Student Affairs offers up-to-date advice for students on post-Brexit rules.

Read the Student Awards Agency Scotland's full guidance on Brexit.

Get in touch

There is still a lot of uncertainty around the full implications of the EU Referendum result for the UK Higher Education sector, but if you have any questions or concerns related to studying or working at the University of Stirling after Brexit, please get in touch.

Current and prospective students

Contact Admissions on +44 (0) 1786 467044 or by emailing