Brexit: information for current EU students

The Scottish Government has confirmed that EU students starting their degree in Scotland before the 2020-21 academic year will continue to be eligible for Scottish/EU fee status and will retain that fee status for the duration of their studies.

EU students enrolling before the 2020-21 academic year are eligible for tuition fee support from the Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS).

The change in fee status for students from the European Economic Area (EEA), announced by the Scottish Government in July 2020, will only take effect for students beginning a degree in 2021.

Graduate Immigration Route

The Graduate Immigration Route is a new UK post-study work visa. It is set to be introduced for international students completing a UK degree from the summer of 2021 or after.

However, this route is not available for current EU students who have started their course before 2020-21.

EU Settlement Scheme

In advance of the UK’s exit from the European Union (EU), the UK government has committed to protecting the rights of EU citizens and their family members currently living in the UK.

If you are already studying in the UK then you (and your family) should apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living in the UK beyond January 2021. You can apply now if you meet the criteria. The deadline for applying is 30 June 2021.

The EU Settlement Scheme will allow EU nationals to continue living in the UK with the same access to work, study, benefits and public services as currently.

Find out more about the EU Settlement Scheme.


The University of Stirling is currently participating in the Erasmus+ programme and will continue to do so until further notice. Students who are due to undertake an Erasmus+ study or work placement during the 2020/21 academic year will be able to receive Erasmus+ funding for the duration of their period abroad.

Study Abroad

Opportunities to spend time abroad will continue to be available post-Brexit. Students with a compulsory period abroad can contact the relevant Faculty to discuss their options.  ​

Please note that those spending a semester or year abroad would continue to pay their tuition fees to the University, so there are no tuition fees due to a host institution, however you should expect to cover other living costs such as accommodation, food, books, etc. (as you would if you were in Stirling) as well as international travel and insurance. The availability of mobility grants will depend on whether or not the UK remains part of the Erasmus+ programme following the UK’s withdrawal from the EU.

Get in touch

There is still a lot of uncertainty around the full implications of the EU Referendum result for the UK Higher Education sector, but if you have any questions or concerns related to studying or working at the University of Stirling after Brexit, please get in touch.

Current and prospective students

Contact Admissions on +44 (0) 1786 467044 or by emailing