Sports Medicine, Health and Wellbeing
Explore the influence and impact of diet and exercise on health, well-being and the prevention of some diseases and the relevance of sports nutrition in athletic performance.
In this module, students will explore the influence and impact of diet and exercise on health, well-being and the prevention of some diseases and the relevance of sports nutrition in athletic performance. The lecturers on the module include an expert on exercise physiology and muscle biology and a sports dietitian with experience working with professional athletes and industry.
Days on campus
Every week there will be a two-hour session (not mandatory) plus two seminars and two practical skills labs (mandatory).
- Seminar 1 - Week 3 - W/C 27.09.21
- Seminar 2 - Week 7 - W/C 01.11.21
- Practical Skills Lab 1 - Week 4 - W/C 04.10.21
- Practical Skills Lab 2 - Week 9 - W/C 09.11.21
For the mandatory sessions,
Students will need to have taken the following modules:
- Anatomy & Physiology 1, Anatomy & Physiology 2
On completion of this module students will be able to:
- Demonstrate a critical understanding of the relationship between nutrition, physical activity, and health and be able to advise the general population on healthy food/activity choices.
- Describe the methods and analysis available for assessing energy intake, energy expenditure and body composition.
- Demonstrate a variety of skills and techniques that are specialised to measure body composition.
- Interpret and critically evaluate the data from different methods of assessing energy intake and output.
- Present an analysis of nutrition/activity datasets through a scientific report.
Delivery and assessment
The lectures will be delivered online. Practical skill lab sessions and seminars will be face to face. The module will be assessed through coursework (1 summative, 1 formative) and final exam (essay type questions - summative).
Dates on campus
During the semester, there will be two seminars and two practical skills lab sessions:
- Seminar 1 - Week 3 - W/C 25.09.23
- Seminar 2 - Week 6 - W/C 30.10.23
- Practical Skills Lab 1 - Week 4 - W/C 02.10.23
- Practical Skills Lab 2 - Week 9 - W/C 07.11.23
Dr Nidia Rodriguez-Sanchez
If you have any questions about entry requirements for our continuing professional development and short courses, contact our Admissions team.
For all other questions, please use our enquiry form.