Visa information for new students


If you have now accepted our unconditional offer to study at Stirling, congratulations! We look forward to welcoming you and want to help you prepare before you arrive.


You may need to apply for a visa to study with us. You can confirm if you need a visa to study in the UK by checking the Do I Need a Visa section of the Home Office website.

If you require a PBS T4 Student visa and have received your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) from the University, you should prepare your visa application as soon as possible.

The Student Immigration Team at the University of Stirling specialises in student immigration to the UK, and we can help you throughout the process. If you are well prepared you should find the application process straightforward and relatively quick.

If you have any questions, please contact the Student Immigration Team at

When should I apply?


If you need to apply for a visa in order to study at the University of Stirling, you must apply:

Before you attempt to travel to the UK.

No more than 3 months before the course start date on your CAS.

No later than 6 months after your CAS was issued.

If you submit an application more than 3 months prior to the course start date on your CAS, then your application will be refused. It is very important that you check your dates thoroughly before submitting an application.

Where can I get more information?


The visa application process


Videos showing the overseas visa application process in action can be found by visiting the We Are International website. This page contains footage showing Indian students and Chinese students applying for their visas overseas. This information will be of use to all international students, irrespective of their nationality.

Please view before applying for your visa.

Bringing your family


Changes to UK immigration mean that only a limited group of postgraduate and government sponsored students are able to bring their dependants with them to the UK. If you are planning to bring your family to the UK with you, please read the UK Governments visa information for partners and family members.

Your family and friends can apply for a visa to visit you in the UK. If you would like more information on visit visas please contact the Student Immigration Team at


© University of Stirling FK9 4LA Scotland UK • Telephone +44 1786 473171 • Scottish Charity No SC011159
Portal Logon