Financial information for Scottish students

Will I have to pay tuition fees?

If you are classed as being ordinarily resident in Scotland or another European Union (EU) country outside the UK, and are going to be studying full-time in Scotland, you will not be required to pay tuition fees. All tuition fees will be paid on your behalf by the Scottish Government through the Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS). Students must apply for this funding every year.

You can find fees for each Undergraduate course by selecting a specific course from the A to Z list.

If you've had fees paid for a previous degree, or you're repeating part of a programme, you may have to contribute. Please contact SAAS for advice.

You can find full eligibility criteria on the SAAS website.


Is funding for part-time study available?

Tuition fees are payable for part-time study. Support may be available on a means tested basis, further information is available from SAAS. Information on other sources of funding can be found on the Student Money Advice webpages.

Undergraduate fees

Please find the fees for each undergraduate course by visiting the A to Z listing and selecting a specific course.

Current fees

How will I meet my living costs?

On average, students at Stirling spend between £6,000 and £9,000 a year (not including fees). When planning your budget, some basic costs that should be taken into account include accommodation (plus any bills), food, telephone, clothes and personal items, entertainment and travel. Also, don't forget the important extras, such as a TV licence and insurance.


More information to help you estimate your costs


There may be funding available to help you with tuition and living costs. Our scholarship finder has more information about the scholarships and other funding opportunities for students at Stirling.

Further information

For information on other award-giving bodies, the following should be available in your local library:

  • The Directory of Educational Trusts
  • The Educational Grants Directory

Further details on a variety of scholarships can be found at:

Financial support

Who is eligible for student loans and bursaries?

Student Loans

ALL students are entitled to take out a student loan to help meet living costs.  The maximum level of loan entitlement each year varies according to parental income, and according to whether the student is living at home, or in rented accommodation, while at university. The loan covers 52 weeks, except in the final year where a reduced loan is available to cover until the end of the course. In general, the maximum amounts for courses that last 30 weeks are: £4,585 for students living in the parental home; or £5,570 for students living away from home and studying outside London.

An additional loan of £810 is available to all students whose household income is £22,789 or less p.a.

You are not required to start paying back student loans until you have graduated and are earning a salary of above £15,795 p.a.

Part-time Fee Grant

Depending on the number of credits and the level of your course you are studying and your own income, you could be eligible for the part-time fees grant from SAAS.  You must apply for this no later than one month after the start of your course. 


For further guidance, Scottish and non-UK, EU applicants should contact:

The Student Awards Agency for Scotland

Gyleview House
3 Redheughs Rigg
South Gyle
EH12 9HH

Tel: 0131 244 8075

Student Loans Company (SLC)

100 Bothwell Street
G2 7JD

Tel: 0800 405 010
Fax: 0141 306 2005


Non-repayable grants and bursaries

The Young Students' Bursary

Students whose parents’ residual income is less than £34,195 p.a. are eligible to receive a Young Students’ Bursary. Entitlement is income assessed, so that the lower the income, the greater the level of assistance given. The maximum bursary of £2,640 p.a. is available to those where the residual income is £19,310 or less. The Young Students’ Bursary is non-repayable. Full tables giving estimated bursary entitlements, according to income, can be found on the SAAS website.

Additional Support

Certain students are eligible for extra financial help through non-repayable supplementary grants such as the Lone Parents’ Grant, or the Disabled Students’ Allowance. For further information please contact SAAS.

Students who have already received their full support package, but are still finding it difficult to make ends meet, may be eligible to receive some help in the form of a hardship loan or a non-repayable bursary. Student Devlopment & Support Services administers both an Access and a Necessitous Students’ Fund; please contact them for more information.

Discretionary and Childcare Funds

These are discretionary funds, designed for UK students who are finding it difficult to make ends meet. These funds, which are administered by the University, are non-repayable and are in addition to any other forms of student support.

Independent students

In what ways are the funding arrangements different for independent students?

You are classed as an independent student if you are: 25 or over on the first day of your course; are married; or have supported yourself from your own earnings or benefits three years prior to the start of your course. In addition to student loans you may be eligible to receive the Independent Students’ Bursary from SAAS. Unlike the student loan, you would not need to repay the bursary. This bursary is income assessed like the loan. You may also be eligible to apply for other living costs grants that you do not have to pay back, such as Dependants' Grant, Lone Parents' Grant and the Disabled Students' Allowance, if eligible. For full details you should contact the Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS).



What are the funding arrangements for students taking pre-registration (Diploma and Degree) courses in Nursing?

All of Stirling’s Nursing places are funded by the Scottish Executive and are open to UK/EU students.

Financial support for living costs is available through the Nursing and Midwifery Student Bursary Fund (NMSB), administered by the Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS). Students are eligible to apply for a bursary each year of their course.


The bursary is non-repayable and is made up of two elements:

1. Bursary

  • £6,578 for years 1 to 3; and
  • £4,934 for year 4.

2. An income assessed dependant's allowance, where appropriate.

The maximum amounts a student can receive through this allowance are:

£2,640 For a husband, wife, civil partner or partner, or, if you are single, one adult you have a legal responsibility for who has little or no income from any source
£2,640 For the first child, as long as you are not receiving an allowance for a dependent husband, wife, civil partner or partner, or other adult dependant.
£557 For all other children

In addition to the bursary students may be eligible to receive other allowances. These include:

  • Initial Expenses Allowance
  • Single Parents' Allowance
  • Childcare Allowance for Parents
  • Expenses for clinical placement
  • Disabled Students' Allowance


For more information contact:

Nursing & Midwifery Student Bursary Section
Gyleview House
3 Redheughs Rigg
EH12 9HH

Tel: 0131 476 8212

Part-time employment opportunities

If you find there is still a shortfall between your income and expenditure, you may consider finding a part-time job. Although not always easy, many students successfully support themselves through part-time and vacation work and still do well in their studies. The University recognises this and wants to help you find a job that meets your needs. To this end we have a Job Shop which advertises employment opportunities on campus and in the local area.

© University of Stirling FK9 4LA Scotland UK • Telephone +44 1786 473171 • Scottish Charity No SC011159
Portal Logon