Financial information for English, Welsh and Northern Irish students


You don't have to be Scottish to be Stirling. That's why we welcome students from all over the UK to our gorgeous campus every year – and it's also why the University of Stirling offers a wide range of funding opportunities and support services available for students joining us from England, Wales or Northern Ireland.

Your tuition fees

For 2018/19, we've set fees at £9,250 a year for each year of study for fee-paying degrees (excluding state funded courses e.g. nursing). If you successfully progress to your Honours year of study at Stirling, you'll be awarded a £9,250 Honours Year Scholarship covering the full cost of fees for your final year of study.

You can find fees for each Undergraduate course by selecting a specific course from the A to Z list.

Planning to join us in 2018? You can find more specific fees and scholarship information here.

All fees are due and payable on enrolment. You can finance this yourself, or apply for a loan to cover the cost of your fees.

Current fees

Female student footballer


We realise that funding your studies in Scotland is a top priority – which is why we award a wide range of scholarships available exclusively for students from England, Wales and Northern Ireland. As Scotland’s University for Sporting Excellence, we also reserve 24 bursaries for student athletes involved in football, golf, swimming, tennis and triathlon.

Find your scholarship

Student loans

Students may be eligible for financial support from their relevant funding body, this support can be in the form of non repayable grants and/or student loans. The amount of support available is assessed on individual circumstances and takes into account parental/family income, family composition and other relevant factors.

To find out what support you are entitled to as well as the application process you should contact the relevant funding body, see below for more information:

Student holding a large textbook.


Funding body:

Student Finance England

Tuition fee loan:


Maintenance loan

You can get a maintenance loan to help with your living costs while you study. How much you can get depends on your household income and where you live and study.


Funding body:

Student Finance Wales

Tuition fee loan


Grants and Maintenance Loans

You can get grants and maintenance loans to help with your living costs while you study. How much you can get depends on your household income and where you live and study.

Northern Ireland

Funding body:

Student Finance NI

Tuition fee loan: 

Grants and Maintenance Loans: 
You can get grants and maintenance loans to help with your living costs while you study. How much you can get depends on your household income and where you live and study.


If you're interested in studying Nursing at the University of Stirling, all of our Nursing places are funded by the Scottish Executive, and are open to both UK and EU students. Financial support for living costs is available through the Nursing and Midwifery Student Bursary Fund (NMSB), which is administered by the Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS). Students are eligible to apply for a bursary each year of their course.

Learn more

The bursary is non-repayable, and is made up of two elements. The first is a bursary of £6,578 for Years 1 to 3, an £4,934 for Year 4. The second is an income assessed dependant's allowance, where appropriate.

The maximum amounts a student can receive through this allowance are:


For a husband, wife, civil partner or partner, or, if you are single, one adult you have a legal responsibility for who has little or no income from any source


For the first child, as long as you are not receiving an allowance for a dependent husband, wife, civil partner or partner, or other adult dependant.


For all other children

In addition to the bursary students may be eligible to receive other allowances. These include:

  • Initial Expenses Allowance
  • Single Parents' Allowance
  • Childcare Allowance for Parents
  • Expenses for clinical placement
  • Disabled Students' Allowance

For more information contact:

Nursing & Midwifery Student Bursary Section
Gyleview House
3 Redheughs Rigg
EH12 9HH

Tel: 0131 476 8212

Independent students

You're classed as an independent student if you are: 25 or over on the first day of your course, married or have supported yourself from your own earnings or benefits three years prior to the start of your course.

As an independent student, you may be eligible to receive the Independent Students’ Bursary from SAAS. Unlike a loan, you don't need to repay the bursary, which is income assessed. You may also be eligible for other living costs grants, such as Dependants' Grant, Lone Parents' Grant and the Disabled Students' Allowance. For guidance, contact the Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS).

Non-repayable grants and bursaries

Certain students are eligible for extra help through non-repayable supplementary grants such as the Parents' Learning Allowance or the Disabled Students' Allowance. For further information, please contact the appropriate board according to country.

Discretionary and Childcare Funds

These are discretionary funds designed for UK students who are finding it difficult to make ends meet. These funds, which are administered by the University, are non-repayable and are in addition to any other forms of student support.

Got questions? Contact us

Student Development Support Services 
University of Stirling  
Stirling FK9 4LA  
Scotland UK 
+ 44 (0) 1786 467080
Student Support Services

© University of Stirling FK9 4LA Scotland UK • Telephone +44 1786 473171 • Scottish Charity No SC011159
Portal Logon