Frequently asked questions

General Information

Q. How many students are there at Stirling?

We have over 8,200 undergraduate students and over 3,400 postgraduate students at present.

Q. How many international students study at Stirling?

Stirling has welcomed international students onto the campus for many years. The University is proud of its international community and has around 23 percent of its student population from outside the UK each year. There are 115 different nationalities represented on campus, creating a truly diverse international community which never fails to make a lasting impression on those who study here.

Q. Where will I live?

The University has accommodation for over 3,000 students on campus and in the city of Stirling itself. Almost all international students take advantage of the University accommodation service which provides various living options. All are on, or within walking distance of, the campus. Students who come to Stirling for more than one year often choose to move out of University accommodation into private houses or flats after their first year. A range of accommodation is available (including some en suite and family accommodation) and international students will normally be housed with both UK and overseas students.

Q. How much does it cost to live in Stirling?

You will need to consider both tuition fees and the cost of living if you are thinking of studying overseas. At Stirling we estimate the cost of living for one year to be £5,500 to £6,000, depending on your lifestyle. Find out more financial information.

Q. How will I meet people and settle in?

Many students find that settling in at Stirling is eased by joining the international clubs and societies, which can provide a supportive network of friends from similar backgrounds. The International Student Society (open to both international and British students) provides the opportunity to meet students from all over the world. The society organises a number of events including tours of Scotland, food tasting evenings and ceilidhs. International students are also welcome to join any of the numerous sports clubs and societies on offer, which range from sub-aqua to mountaineering and from drama to the student newspaper. You will also find that most students live on campus, so you'll be surrounded by other people within the ready-made community of halls of residence, flats, or similar. Our teaching methods too are structured around interaction and involvement - you should be able to make friends very quickly.

Q. What are the semester dates?

Undergraduate semester dates can be found on our web pages. Postgraduate semesters vary by department. You will receive more information after you are accepted to the University.

Q. How can I get to the University campus?

For students arriving at the start of semester, we offer an airport collection service, from both Edinburgh and Glasgow International Airports.

Q. How can I contact home?

You will receive your University email account within your first few days at Stirling. This will enable you to contact friends and family at home. In addition, "pay as you go" mobile phones can be purchased reasonably cheaply to enable you to contact people.

Course Information

Q. What can I study?

The University of Stirling has 7 Academic Schools which offer a wide range of undergraduate programmes and postgraduate Masters and PhD programmes. Additionally, we offer English language courses to prepare you for study at the University.

Q. How do I apply?

Undergraduate students who wish to study for a full degree programme should apply through the UCAS system, the admissions system for all UK universities. A wide range of qualifications are considered for entry. Further details on how to apply.

January entry to many of our undergraduate degree programmes is also available for students who feel this would better suit their needs.

Prospective postgraduate students should apply through the Postgraduate Admissions Office. Your application can be made online or on a postgraduate application form. Further details on how to apply for postgraduate study.

Q. When should I apply?

The deadline for undergraduate UCAS applications is 30 June of the year in which you wish to start study, although applications can be made from 1st September for the following September. There is no official deadline for postgraduate applications, although you should try to apply before the end of June to allow time to apply for visas and make your travel arrangements. More information on how to apply for postgraduate study.

Q. What support is there for me while I study?

Before you arrive at Stirling you will be sent a copy of the University's International Student Handbook to advise on practical issues regarding arriving and living in Scotland. To assist your arrival at the University, an airport collection service is provided to all international students arriving at Edinburgh or Glasgow International Airports the weekend before semester begins.

Once at the University, Departmental Advising Teams or Course Directors are available to offer support on any academic or personal issues while you study at Stirling. You can also seek advice from Student Development and Support Services, which provides a confidential service for all students and can offer help and advice to international students on a wide range of issues. The Students' Union, also runs a Welfare Service.

About the Local Area

Q. Where is Stirling?

Stirling is located in the heart of central Scotland, in the UK. The city is 27 miles/43km from Glasgow and 37 miles/59km from Edinburgh, both of which have international airports within easy reach of the University. That's less than one hour of travel from either airport to the campus. More information on getting to the University can be found here.

Q. Is Stirling a big city?

The University is situated approximately 2 miles/3km from the centre of the city of Stirling which has a population of 40,000 people. Stirling was the ancient capital of Scotland and is also home to many historic sites and monuments. Today Stirling is a modern tourism, administrative and manufacturing centre, with the shopping, amenities and recreational facilities you would expect to find in a modern city. Find out more about Stirling.

Q. Is it cold in Scotland?

The Scottish weather is varied, but the climate is usually temperate and there are very few extremes. It is rare for it to snow in Stirling and the temperature year round is approximately only 2°C lower than in England:

  • Average temperatures in summer are 18 – 22°C
  • Average temperatures in autumn are 8 – 11°C
  • Average temperatures in winter are 0 – 10°C
  • Average temperatures in spring are 4 – 10°C

Other Information

Q. What Visa requirements must I fulfil?

If you are coming to the UK to study for a course or courses lasting longer than six months, you must apply for your entry clearance before leaving the country you are living in. You can get information from: If you have specific questions, please get in touch with our International Student Adviser by email at

Q. What level of English will I need?

If your native language is not English, you must be able to show evidence of a suitable level of skill with an English Language test result. We offer a number of foundation courses that provide pathways to degree programmes.

Q. Where can I find out more about Scottish Education?

For further information on studying in Scotland contact your local British Council office.

Q. Do you have any Clubs and Societies?

Yes! View the Students' Union's Clubs and Societies page to find out more.

Q. Can I work whilst I study?

International students (not EEA or Swiss nationals), studying for longer that six months are usually given immigration conditions which allow them to work for up to 20 hours per week. Information at: The Job Shop within the Career Development Centre at the University has details about part-time vacancies, both on campus and in Stirling.

Q. Who are your Education Agents?

A complete list of our education agents can be found here.

Q. Can I drive in the UK? How can I travel round the UK?

Please refer to the Guidance Note Driving in Great Britain: a guide for international students from UKCOSA for more information.

Studying in the UK

Tourism Web Sites


© University of Stirling FK9 4LA Scotland UK • Telephone +44 1786 473171 • Scottish Charity No SC011159
Portal Logon