Working while you study

The Career Development Centre can provide information and advice about finding work during your studies and also about managing your next career move after you finish your programme.

Your visa may allow you to work alongside your studies- normally a maximum of 20 hours during term time for degree students and longer in vacations. Before starting a job you should check your visa. You will also need to apply for a National Insurance number (a reference number used by the UK tax authorities). For more information about these issues you can consult the information sheet “Working during your studies” available here.

Working part time can help you improve your English, meet new people and adjust to life in the UK as well as earning a little extra money but you should consider carefully how much time you can devote to work without affecting your studies and also be aware that many part time jobs are not well paid.



© University of Stirling FK9 4LA Scotland UK • Telephone +44 1786 473171 • Scottish Charity No SC011159
Portal Logon