After Graduation

Alumni Association

The Alumni Association promotes lifelong links between the University and its alumni community. Membership is automatic to all who have studied at the University.

Returning home

If you are planning to return home when you have completed your studies you will need to make some preparations. The UKCISA information sheet, "Preparing to Return Home" has useful information about many of the practical steps you may need to consider.

Alumni network

The University operates an Alumni network which allows former students to stay in touch with the University and each other. Many students find it a useful network for social activities and business. For more information, see the University Alumni pages.

Staying on in the UK for work

Some students decide to stay in the UK to work after graduation. If you decide to do this you will need to think about your visa and this will require some planning.

After graduation there may be opportunities to stay on in the UK to work under Tier 2 or Tier 5 of the Points Based System for immigration.

Immigration requirements are strict and change frequently, you can read more information on these websites:

The International Student Adviser organises information sessions for students thinking of staying in the UK towards the end of Semester 2 and also during the summer vacation. Look out for posters in your school, or email

Further studies

If you would like to stay in the UK for another course, you will normally be able to extend your stay as a student provided you meet the study and financial requirements and your new programme of study starts within one month of the expiry of your current Student or Tier 4 visa. Your new studies should be a progression from your existing course.

If your new programme of study starts more than one month after your visa expires, you will normally have to return home and apply for a new visa.

The International Student Adviser can advise you on applying for permission to stay in the UK as a student and can also help you contact an adviser at another University if you will be studying elsewhere. You can arrange an appointment to see Ian, the adviser, by phoning 01786 466681 or emailing

You can also read more information about making an immigration application in the UK at the UKCISA web site.

EEA nationals and Swiss nationals

If you are a British Citizen, a Swiss national or a National from a European Economic Area (EEA) country you are allowed to work in the UK.

The EEA includes the following countries:

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Irish Republic, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and the United Kingdom.

You can find more information about working in the UK as an EEA national at the UKCISA Web Site.

© University of Stirling FK9 4LA Scotland UK • Telephone +44 1786 473171 • Scottish Charity No SC011159
Portal Logon