W‌e know it can be difficult to work out exactly what sort of support you might need, which is why we have experienced staff that can help you to do this. 

You can reach us via the Student Services Hub by emailing ask@stir.ac.uk or by calling +44(0) 1786 466022 and all you need to do is give us a little information about what's going on so we can find the best way of supporting you.  Alternatively, pop into see us at the Queens Court Entrance of the Cottrell Building - we'll find out who you need to talk to and arrange an appointment.

If you're based at our Highland Campus email s.m.mcaulay@stir.ac.uk or call +44 (0) 1463 255611. To visit in person, pop along to W/002.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

I think I may be dyslexic

Students who suspect they have dyslexic type difficulties may self-refer to the Accessibility & Inclusion Service. An initial screening will be done and you will likely be advised to also attend a drop-in to speak to an Assistant Adviser.

I am struggling with money

We understand that sometimes people struggle financially. Bills add up and it’s difficult to make ends meet.  It can feel scary and it is easy  to ignore the situation, hoping that things will get better. However it is best to confront the issue. We, at Student Money Advice are here to provide you with information about our discretionary funds, how to best pay prior debts, advice about how to budget and information about trusts and scholarships to help you back on your feet.

I am feeling lonely or homesick

There are times in our lives when we feel lonely, unhappy and perhaps missing our family and friends and feeling very homesick. It can happen sometimes, when we find ourselves a long way from home. We  “lose our way” emotionally and do not know who to turn to. We at the Counselling & Wellbeing service can help you by listening, supporting and encouraging you to find yourself again.

I'm a care leaver - what support can I get?

We are committed to meeting the needs of care leavers. Find out more about the support available for care-experienced and looked-after young people.

I'm struggling with my assignments/exams

If you are struggling with your assignments/exams Student Learning Services (SLS) can help.  They:

  • Advise students on academic skills relevant to their studies at University.
  • Help students consolidate their previous learning and develop new learning strategies.
  • Advise on action-plans to potentially improve grades.
  • Suggest practical solutions if students feel overwhelmed by assignment work.
  • Help students gain confidence as they make the transition into university.

To get in touch with SLS email sls@stir.ac.uk.

I have experienced bullying or harassment: what can I do?

There are 2 things you could consider doing:

  1. Make a formal complaint under the anti-bullying and harassment policy. You can do this by emailing details of the alleged incident to academic.registrar@stir.ac.uk
  2. You may come and have a chat with one of the student counsellors if you want to talk things through and decide what to do next. Details of how to do this can be found here. Highland and Western Isles students should contact Sheila McAulay on 01463 255611 or email s.m.mcaulay@stir.ac.uk
© University of Stirling FK9 4LA Scotland UK • Telephone +44 1786 473171 • Scottish Charity No SC011159
Portal Logon