Connect at Stirling
You can use our IT QuickStart for students for all the basics to get started.
Your student computer account gives you access to:
- The University Portal (internal website)
- The computer network on campus (including the student lab PCs in the computing labs and library)
- Canvas (online learning environment)
You'll need your registration number (which can be found in the email sent with the instructions on how to apply for your accommodation) and your date of birth.
If you need help
You can’t set up Wi-Fi on your device until you are on campus. The University uses the eduroam Wi-Fi
All students have a University email account in Office 365. Everybody has the same email address format:
You must use your University email account as it is the official means by which the University will contact you and we can identify you by your email address when you contact us. You are welcome to use your University email account for personal mail. If you don't want to use your Uni email account, you can put a forward on it to redirect your email to a personal account.
We use Multi Factor Authentication (MFA) to protect your email and data stored in Office365 apps like
We have a range of software for you to use including:
- Microsoft Office - you can download Microsoft software from within your student email account - go to http://office365.stir.ac.uk and check in the Settings menu to find software for download.
- SensusAccess - help you convert documents into accessible formats
- Data and Statistical analysis packages such as SPSS and STATA
See our a range of University apps which include printing, using the Library, using Box and Canvas on your mobile.
Students have access to a number of different online learning tools:
- Canvas - this is the University's online learning system and it has a presence for
all taught academic as well as a number of additional modules which are used to support other learning related activities. You can log into Canvas from the Student Portal.
- LinkedIn Learning - all students have access to this online resource of training videos and tutorials for personal and professional development.
- Panopto - this allows lecturers to record lectures to listen again in your own time
All students have a print account attached to their network account. This print account is debited whenever any printing or photocopying is done. You get a free print allocation of £6 per academic year. This is applied automatically to your account at the start of the autumn semester every year. Thereafter printing is charged.
To support you in your studies, we have a wide range of assistive technology in computing labs around campus, including:
- screen reading software
- video magnifiers
- braille embossers
- daylight lamps
- adjustable desks
Our Accessibility and Inclusion team are happy to identify the products and services that are best suited to you and give you the training you need to use them. If you think you’d benefit from assistive technology, please get in touch to arrange a needs assessment appointment.
Stay safe - protect your computer, your data and yourself. See our FAQs on the various types of threat and how to avoid them. You can also get some advice on how to keep your network password and your own devices safe.
Keep in touch
Make sure you are kept informed about everything happening on campus including student and campus news, events, talks and exhibitions, campus facilities, student support, car parking, special offers and much more.
At Stirling we have a number of ways to keep you in the loop:
- Email - your student email is one of the main channels we'll use to communicate with you. It is your responsibility to check your inbox regularly for any important updates and to use your student email for all email correspondence with the University.
- Student Bulletin - our weekly student e-newsletter delivered every Thursday to your University email inbox and available from the Portal. See our previous issues.
- Student Portal - this is updated daily with campus news, events and announcements.
- News and events - the website is updated regularly with key University news and events.
- Social media - follow us on Instagram, Facebook or Twitter.