Skip header navigation

University of Stirling


In an emergency

If you're off campus, you should call 999 to reach any of the emergency services.

If you're on campus, call the Security Team any time, 24/7 on x2222 (on an internal phone) or 01786 467999 if using your mobile phone to request the Police.

If you need an ambulance, dial 999 directly to speak to a call handler. Once you have done so, call the Security Team on x 2222 or 01786 467999 as before to advise them that an ambulance will be arriving.

If you have been affected by sexual violence or misconduct

We know it can be incredibly difficult to disclose if you have been raped, sexually assaulted, harassed or abused. We understand there are many barriers and that you will be experiencing difficult feelings, some of which may be worries about how you will be treated if you do make a disclosure. This is a distressing time for you, and it is of the utmost importance to us that we don’t make it any more difficult. We encourage you to come forward safe in the knowledge that you will be believed, respected and supported.

People who have experienced rape, sexual assault or sexual harassment can be affected in many ways and are likely to experience a range of upsetting and painful feelings. The effects can be very varied, and include anger, distress, numbness, crying, insomnia, flashbacks, inability to concentrate, and withdrawal from friends and family. All of these reactions are completely normal, and it is ok to feel like this.  

For students

By contacting Student Support Services, you can talk to a Student Adviser who will listen to how you are feeling without judging you in any way. Our staff are there whether you want to make a formal report to the University or the Police, if you want to find out about specialist support available to you, or whether you just want someone to listen.

For staff

There are a range of options for staff. Depending on what has happened to you and how you feel about it, you might want to talk to your line manager or a trusted colleague.

You can also contact Occupational Health. Whilst the OH team are not specialists in supporting people affected by sexual violence or misconduct, they do provide an independent, confidential service, and they can refer you to other sources of support such as a counsellor. Find out more about the services offered by Occupational Health.

The University also has a network of trained Anti-Bullying & Harassment Contacts. Depending on the nature of what has happened and how you feel about it, these again might be a useful source of guidance and support. Find out more about the support you can get from the Anti-Bullying & Harassment contacts.

A few key tips...

  • Familiarise yourself with the support that is available to you and the protocols for making a formal report before you decide what you want to do. You can talk to a member of staff in Student Support Services if you need some advice on this.
  • Do not engage with the perpetrator in any way.
  • Refrain from spreading accusatory messages about the perpetrator through third parties or social media.
  • If you are being contacted or harassed by anybody after the incident (whether face to face, by phone, by email or online), we would encourage you to discuss this with a Student Support Adviser or an Anti-Bullying and Harassment contact. If you want action to be taken, he or she will guide you through the process of reporting this behaviour. Keep a record of any inappropriate messages you receive, so they can be passed to the Police or University if you choose to involve them.

What you can expect from us if you have been affected by sexual violence

  • We will take you seriously and believe you
  • We will listen
  • We will respect your feelings and decisions
  • We will ensure you have access to other forms of support if that is what you want
  • We will not judge you
  • We will take all reasonable action to ensure your physical safety which might include reviewing accommodation arrangements or adjusting academic timetables
  • We will not force you to involve the Police: that is your choice
  • We will support you to report the incident to the Police, if that is what you choose to do
  • If you just want to talk
    Counselling and Wellbeing Service (for students)

    The Counselling and Wellbeing team provide support for students in crisis or who are seeking emotional support.  We have a team of qualified counsellors and a Mental Health Adviser that you can talk to in confidence if you have been affected by sexual violence or other forms of misconduct, such as harassment or stalking.  They are here to listen. They can also provide you with information about your options, and can assist you to access additional support from external organisations - such a professional advice or medical help - if this is what you need.

    Rape Crisis Centre (for students AND staff)

    Student Support Services and Rape Crisis Forth Valley are working in partnership to provide support for students or staff affected by sexual violence in the Stirling area. 

    Those affected can contact Rape Crisis independently using their contact details on our external agencies page. Students can first have a chat with an Adviser in Student Support Services if they want to talk through their options first.

    Student Services Hub

    The Student Services Hub can help if you have an enquiry about anything relating to your student experience. Visit, call or email our friendly team of Hub Assistants if you want to make an appointment with a student counsellor. You do not have to tell the team what you want to talk about when you make your appointment.

    Tel: 01786 466022


    Visit: Cottrell, 2A1, just inside the Queen's Court entrance

    Accommodation Services

    If you have been affected by sexual violence at University, Accommodation Service may also be able to provide support. However, we recommend that you first of all contact the Counselling and Wellbeing Service to get support. If required, they can help you to make contact with Accommodation Services.

    Stirling Students’ Union Stirling Students’ Union

    You may prefer to talk initially with a member of staff from the Students' Union. Call, email or drop into the Students’ Union office and your enquiry will be handled in confidence and directed to the person who may best help you. If you know it is an issue with which you may need academic representation or support, then email the Academic Representation and Development Coordinator, Lynn Maher or call 01786 467188.

    Highland Students

    You may feel you can speak to your personal tutor or another member of the teaching staff.  You can also talk to the Student Adviser in Student Support Services, who can provide you with information on local counsellors and other support that you can access.  You can also contact support organisations in your area:

    RASASH (Rape and Sexual Abuse Service Highlands):

    Rape Crisis Scotland:

    The Survivors Trust:

  • If you want to report an incident
    If you want to report the incident formally to the University or the Police: information for staff and students

    If you wish to report a crime you can telephone the non-emergency police number 101. In an emergency, the police can be contacted on 999

    Reporting an incident to the University

    You can report an incident of sexual violence or misconduct to the University by first of all talking to a trained member of staff who will support you through the process. 

    Students can ask to speak to a Student Counsellor by making an appointment via the Student Services Hub. Our counsellors are trained professionals who will listen to you without judging, and will provide you with information on your options. Alternatively, you can make an appointment with Rape Crisis Forth Valley. This is an independent service, and the University will not know that you have made an appointment with them.

    If you choose to make a formal complaint, you will be able to do this by submitting a formal complaint form. Our Student Support team will be able to guide you through this process and will be on hand to provide and/or refer you for further support.

    Staff can formally report an incident relating to the workplace by either contacting their line manager or their HR Partner. Alternatively, you might want to talk in confidence to an Anti-Bullying and Harassment Contact. They are not trained specialists in sexual violence, but they will be able to guide you through the process of making a formal complaint to the University. 

    Staff who have been affected by sexual violence outwith the workplace can choose to report externally e.g. to the Police, to contact Rape Crisis for support, or to tell someone they trust at work. The HR Partner team or the Anti-Bullying and Harassment Contacts will be able to guide you through the process of contacting the police, if that is what you wish to do, or accessing support e.g. through Occupational Health.

    More detailed protocols on formally reporting an incident to the University – for staff and students – will be developed and made available during 2017.

  • If you want to visit a Sexual Assault Referral Centre (SARC)

    You may wish to make an appointment with your nearest Sexual Assault Referral Centre (SARC) – in Scotland, this is Archway in Glasgow.

    The Archway is a specialist service made up of a team of experts experienced in caring for people who have been raped or sexually assaulted. This includes basic medical attention, forensic examination, emergency contraception, sexual health screening, advice and counselling.

    Anyone who is over 13 years old and has been raped or sexually assaulted in the last 7 days can visit Archway.

    It is entirely up to you to decide what services you use and what choices you make at Archway. For example, you may wish to have sexual health screening tests but not undergo a forensic examination. Or you may choose to have a forensic examination so that evidence of the assault can be collected, but you may not wish to report the incident to the Police. The choice will remain yours throughout the process, and your visit will be entirely confidential.

    Find out more at Archway Glasgow.

Scroll back to the top