Student funding

It's important that you're getting all the funding you're entitled to. This section sets out main sources of funding for study, such as statutory funding from funding bodies such as the Student Awards Agency for Scotland, LEAs, Library Boards or Research Funding Councils. It also gives information on how to make an appeal to the Students Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS).

Find out more

Undergraduate students

This page covers statutory funding for full-time UK-domiciled students. To check your eligibility, go to the relevant country link below:

Scottish Students

Apply to the Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS). You must apply before 30 June including all necessary documents in order to have your funding in place in time for the start of semester. You do not have to have an unconditional offer in order to apply but you must upload your confirmation letter so SAAS can process your application.‌

There are changes to funding for 2016-17. Check the SAAS website for full information

In 2016-17 all first time students get:

  • Tuition fees – SAAS pays them direct to the University
  • A loan of between £4750 – £6750 which you repay after you graduate
  • The amount of loan you will receive and any additional bursaries or grants depends on your household income and your personal circumstances.

Depending on your circumstances you may also be eligible for:

Young/Independent Students' Bursary
Lone parents' grant
Dependants' grant
Care experienced grant
Disabled Students Allowance

Repeat periods of study and second degrees

Special rules apply, which you can read on the SAAS website. Check Money from other sources for info on benefits, trusts and charities etc. too.

You must apply to SAAS each year for your tuition fees. You don't have to take any loan at all, but if you don't apply to SAAS, they will not pay your tuition fees.
English, Welsh and Northern Ireland Students

Funding is different from Scotland and depends on the year you started or will start your course. You must apply each year and most funding is given through loans. You will have to pay tuition fees but you can apply for a loan to cover this.

Postgraduate students

General information


Nursing and Midwifery students

Nursing and Midwifery Students Bursary Scheme

The Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS) handles applications for this scheme, which funds students on pre-registration nursing and midwifery courses.

Who can apply?

Generally anyone who has been 'ordinarily resident' in the UK, Channel Islands, Isle of Man for the three years immediately before the first day of the first academic year of the course (the 'relevant date'). You must also be ordinarily resident in Scotland on the relevant date. Check the SAAS website for full details.

If you have already received funding for a Higher Education course, you may still be eligible.

What money can I get?

A bursary (£6578).
Small initial expenses allowance, 1st year only (£60).

Depending on your circumstances:

  • Dependant’s allowance – this is income-assessed.
  • Single parent's allowance.
  • Childcare allowance (for formal registered childcare).
  • Disabled Student's Allowance.
  • Clinical Placement Allowance.
  • Full details on the SAAS website.

When do I apply?

You can apply to SAAS before you get your letter of acceptance from the University of Stirling. You should submit your application by 30 June including all necessary documents to ensure your funding is in place in time for the start of semester. When you have an unconditional offer of a place, send this in to SAAS so they can process your application.

Access students

Part-time evening Access Courses

  • If your own income is £25,000 or less you could be eligible for a part-time fee grant from SAAS. Find out if you are eligible and how to apply on the SAAS website.
  • This grant is paid to the University, not to you. It covers a lot but not all of full Access course fee.
  • You could use an Individual Learning Account towards fees if you are eligible.
  • If you are on a limited income, you may qualify for a grant from the Student Assistance Fund.
  • Also check the Money from other sources section.

Autumn Access Programme

You cannot apply for a student loan until you go on to a full degree course but you may be eligible for a small grant from the Student Assistance Fund. Check also the Money from other sources section.

Part-time students

Undergraduate courses

Help with fees

    • You must be doing between 30-119 SCQF credits in each year of your course, at SCQF levels 7-10 (the usual undergraduate course levels).
    • Your application must be with SAAS no more than three months after the course start date. Apply for the grant here.
    • The grant is paid to the University, not to you.
    • The level of fee payable depends on the number of credits you are studying towards on 1 December (for autumn start courses). If you decide to take more credits in semester 2 after that off date you will NOT get a top-up of additional fees.

Postgraduate courses

Help with fees:

  • From 2017/18 you may be eligible for a tuition fee loan up to £2750 for ANY Taught Postgraduate course at the Universtiy of Stirling. Check the SAAS webpages for full eligibility criteria.  
  • A part-time fees grant of up to £1700 (for the PG diploma part of the course only) is available for specified courses only.

Help with Other Costs:

  • Disabled students – you may be eligible for the Disabled Students Allowance.
  • Make sure you are getting any benefits or tax credits you may be entitled to.
  • You may be eligible for a grant one of the discretionary or student assistance funds. Do not look on this as the main part of your funding.
  • Are there any Trusts and Charities you could apply to?

EU students

Money from the Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS)

  • If you are studying full-time on an undergraduate course, you may be able to have your fees paid.
  • If you have lived in Scotland for three years immediately before the start of your course, you may also receive additional support.
  • The rules are complex so check out your eligibility with SAAS first. Or talk to an adviser.
  • You apply online for the funding.

International students

Public Funding

You are not entitled to assistance with tuition fees or living costs. You must have sufficient funds in place before you start your course. This is a basic requirement for obtaining your visa to study in the UK.

Useful sites

  • Information sheets from UKCISA specifically for international students:

Additional information

Care experienced students

Paying for your studies

If you normally live in Scotland, you will most likely qualify for funding from the Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS). Funding for a full-time course is usually: fees (paid direct to the University), a student loan and maybe a bursary (which you don't have to repay) or a bursary (Nursing only). Find out more.

From 2017-2018, new and continuing care experienced students undertaking an eligible undergraduate course will be eligible to apply for a funding package of tuition fees and a non-income assessed Care Experienced Students Bursary from SAAS. The amount available in 2017-2018 is £7,625. This new bursary replaces the current income-assessed living cost loan and bursary package. As such, if you apply for and meet the criteria to receive the Care Experienced Bursary, you will not be eligible to apply for a student loan. 

You may be eligible to claim the Care Experienced Student Bursary if:

  • You have ever been looked after by a Local Authority in the UK; and
  • You are under 26 on the first day of the first academic year of your course (the relevant date).

For most students, who start in the autumn term, the relevant date is 1 August.

If you are part-time, you may qualify for a fees grant (paid to the University).

If you are not sure about what funding you might get, please get in touch.

Your social work department may also help if you are still supported by them. There is the possibility that they may pay for your accommodation.

Other things to consider:

  • Care Experienced Accommodation Grant - if you are funded by SAAS, you might be eligible.
  • Budgeting - Student Money Advice has links to tools to help you manage your money and also runs workshops. We can also work with you individually.
  • Discretionary funds - if you are struggling financially or there's a short term difficulty, you may get a grant from one of the discretionary or student assistance funds.

Students with children

Children mean additional financial responsibility but you may be entitled to funding from various sources. Understanding the full range of possibilities and how and when to apply can help to maximise your income.

If you have been working full time before becoming a student, you may find it challenging to manage without a regular salary, even with relevant student funding. Money for parents may come from several sources and at different times throughout the year. This will make planning your budget difficult, but doing so is essential.  Several websites offer helpful online tools when reviewing income and expenditure:

Download leaflet Students who have children.

Council tax

Most full-time and some part-time students are eligible for exemption. Learn more about Council Tax exemption.

Students who are thinking about leaving