Other sources of funding

There is a very wide range of sources of money to help you through your study, depending on your situation:‌

  • Look for part-time or vacation work
  • Make sure you don't pay too much income tax
  • Are you eligible for any welfare benefits?
  • Check out University and other scholarships
  • Apply to trusts and charities

Funding opportunities

Isabella H. Stevens Student Loan Fund

The Isabella H. Stevens Student Loan Fund has been established by Mr. Stephen E. Stevens in memory of his wife, to assist students who are in, or may be facing, financial difficulty.

Any loan offered from the Isabella H. Stevens Student Loan Fund has to be paid back but it is INTEREST FREE. Loan awards are based on the assessment of financial need, determined by a review of the evidence of income and expenditure supported by the application form below, and your personal circumstances. The loan award can be used to support all forms of financial expenses in support of you successfully completing your studies.

You should always ensure you have applied for all the funding you are entitled to receive before apply for an Isabella H. Stevens Student Loan.

How to Apply

No application form is required for this fund. The Money Support team will automatically identify, and contact you, if you are eligible for an award from this fund when processing your Student Money Support Funds Application form for either the Discretionary Fund, Childcare Fund, Student Assistance Fund, Nursing & Midwifery Discretionary Fund and/or University Accommodation Fund.

Part-time work

Can I work and study?

  • Yes. For many students it's a necessity and it can also give you valuable work experience. But you need to make sure you allow enough time for study.
  • If you are an international or European student, there may be visa or other regulations which affect your employment. Find out more visa regulations.

Where can I find jobs?

Our Careers and Employability Service is one place to start looking for part-time and vacation jobs, internships, volunteer opportunities and more.

You may want to think about:

National Minimum Wage (2016 current rates: £3.87 if 18 or younger, £5.30 if between the ages of 18-20 and £6.70 if ages 21 or over)

Get more information on through our Careers and Employability service. 


If you're a full-time student, you're not usually eligible to claim benefits. However some benefits are currently unaffected by studying; these include Child Tax Credits, Working Tax Credits, Child Benefit, Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Personal Independence Payments (PIP) as DLA is now known. The UK benefits is currently changing and many of these benefits are currently being replaced by Universal Credit

Full-time students

Part-time students

  • You can still be eligible for most benefits. This includes job seeker's allowance (JSA) so long as you meet the availability for work requirements. Find out more eligibility.
  • Some part-time students are eligible for council tax exemption. It depends on the number of credits you are studying.

Find out more

  • Information from the NUS.
  • Check the DWP (Department of Work and Pensions) website for information on all benefits. You can also start applications for many benefits from there.
  • You can use the Entitled to website and the government benefits site to calculate the benefits you may be entitled to. But they may not give accurate results if you are a full-time student and they do not take into account eligibility for non UK students.
  • Benefits regulations are complicated, please speak to a Student Money Adviser or other agency, e.g. CAB (Citizens' Advice Bureau), for more information.

Income Tax

If I'm a student, do I have to pay tax?

  • It depends on how much you earn. Everyone can earn a certain amount before they pay tax or national insurance. This is known as your 'personal allowance'. If you have more than one job, you still have one personal allowance. Read more about personal allowances.
  • If you work in semester time and vacations, the normal tax rules apply to you. See the HMRC website for more information.

How can I make sure I don't pay too much income tax?

  • If you start a job and you haven't got a P45 (a statement from your previous employer about your earnings and tax), ask to fill out a P46 instead
  • If you leave a job, make sure your employer gives you a P45 to hand on to your next employer
  • If you are clearly earning less than your personal allowance or if your tax code ends in 'BR' (that means you do not have any personal allowances) you can ring a tax office to sort things. Find out your employer's PAYE tax reference number and then telephone the relevant tax office. Find the telephone number.
  • You could use HMRC's online checker if you think you may have paid too much. That site has information on what to do next.

The work I'm doing is classed as self-employment, what should I do?


Grants are available from a wide range of charities and trusts. Amounts vary; they probably won't be large but they can make a difference.

Trusts give grants for many different reasons including: where you live, you/your parents' occupations, whether you have been looked after in local authority care, disability, religious background, ethnicity, lifestyle (eg vegetarian), surname and for specific purposes like postgraduate study, rent deposit, small business grants and so on.

This section gives you information on where to look for trusts and charities, how to apply and some individual trusts

Where to look for Trusts and Charities

The Times list of funds that will help current and past members of trades and professions and their dependants

Directory of Grant Making Trusts - available in the Library at Stirling and Highland Campuses.

General Trust Funds:

Thomas and Margaret Roddan Trust
Applications forms are available from the 1st April and the closing date is usually in June. Applications can be collected from the Student Services Hub at 2Z Cottrell.

Who can apply?
Undergrads who have completed at least one year of study; postgrads - taught and research AND whose ordinary residence is in Scotland and studying anywhere including Scotland OR students whose ordinary residence is outside the United Kingdom and studying in Scotland. Bursaries generally range from £500 to £3,000

Full details and application forms will be on Student Money Advice pages on Canvas.

Sutherland Page Trust
Applications are available from 22nd September 2016 and the closing date is 18th November 2016.  Applications can be collected from the Student Services Hub at 2Z Cottrell Building. 

Who can apply?
Any undergraduate or postgraduate student at a Scottish university who was born in Scotland or has at least one parent born in Scotland or has been domiciled in Scotland or ordinarily resident in Scotland for three continuous years immediately prior to entry to a Scottish University and

  • was born in Scotland or has at least one parent born in Scotland or has been domiciled in Scotland or ordinarily resident in Scotland for three continuous years immediately prior to entry to a Scottish University and
  • has successfully completed the first year of their course of study in Medicine, Law, Arts, Divinity or Science