Access to the library, computer labs and study spaces
COVID-19 restrictions mean there are some changes to how you access the library, computer labs and study spaces. We keep these under review in line with government guidance.
The library is open with a range of measures to keep you safe. We’ve be reduced the number of study spaces available in line with any current social distancing requirements, and we’ll be limiting the number of visitors allowed in the building at any given time.
We’ll also be asking you to use our hand sanitiser to clean your hands on entry, and we’ll provide anyone using study spaces or PCs with sanitising wipes to clean down any equipment or desks before and after use. In line with Scottish Government guidance, it's mandatory to wear a face covering when you are in the library.
Changes to access and service
You can enter the library to get support from Information Centre staff, to borrow a laptop, for click & collect book reservations, and for printing. Study spaces, however, must be booked in advance after this date. This will remain under review, please follow Information Services on social media or keep an eye out for updates in the student newsletter, the Student Bulletin.
- The library already provides access to nearly a third of a million ebooks and 120,000 ejournals, but we’ve invested in even more over the summer to secure access to a greater number of digital textbooks, making sure your studies are supported with the right reading materials.
- If we can’t get you a digital copy of any of our resources, we’ll be running a new Click and Collect service year-round – this will be the fastest way of getting your hands on our physical books. All of our books and journals will be sterilised after use, and if you happen to be browsing the shelves you’ll need to return books to quarantine points when you’re finished with them.
- Our librarians will be offering a great range of online support sessions, from information and digital literacies to dissertation support and faculty drop-ins. We also have an online booking system in place so that you can arrange time with a librarian, who will meet with you online using MS Teams.
- Our Archives reading room is currently closed but please contact us via email@example.com and we will do our best to assist.
- Our laptop loan service will be up and running, please use the antibacterial wipes provided to clean the laptop when you collect it and before you return it to the cabinet.
- Computers for study are available in the Library on every floor. In addition, many of our Computing lab PCs can be accessed from off-campus. Find out more about accessing PC's off-campus.
- Our IT service desk is operating fully online, but will re-open for walk-up enquiries, particularly for our new student arrivals who might need a hand getting their devices onto our Wi-Fi, or support with other practical IT issues.