Frequently Asked Questions

These questions have been prepared to assist your understanding of the adviser of studies role.

How will compensation be applied in practice?

Compensation will not be actioned by Schools.  PC will be added to the student record by the Student Programmes team.  

Progression between semesters?

Progression decisions will now be made at the end of each academic year instead of every semester.  Student Programmes will only contact students who have failed everything in the autumn semester, all other students will simply continue into spring semester.

What does the change from 22 credits to 20 credits per module mean for current students?

If the change in credit structure results in a student being short of credit (max 10 credits) then the student will not be disadvantaged.  Manual adjustment will be applied to the student record by the Student Programmes Office prior to award.

Student entering Year 2 with 132 credits at the end of their Year 1
This student would take 120 (6 x 20-credit modules) in Year 2, 120 credits in Year 3 (6 x 20-credit modules) and 120 credits in Year 4, giving them 492 credit points in total.

Student entering Year 3 with 242 credits at the end of their Year 2
This student would take 120 credits in both Years 3 and 4 (6 x 20-credit modules) giving them 482 credit points in total.

Student entering Year 4 with 374 credits at the end of their Year 3
Taking the proposed 120 credits in Year 4 would give the student 494 credit points in total.
There are no longer any semesters where students will take two modules (40 credits).

How have the honours admission criteria changed?

There is no longer any formal “Admission to Honours” process.  Students are admitted to the university with the intention of completing an honours degree, and the student will progress from year to year as long as they meet the minimum criteria:

Entry to year 2 120 credits 80 credits
Entry to year 3 240 credits 200 credits
Entry to year 4 360 credits 320 credits

*NB: A student with a fail in a module which is a prerequisite to a core module in the next year of study will be required to take leave of absence and pass the failed module before progressing to the next year of study.

What is sufficient credit for honours admission?

In order to progress to the next year of study, a full-time student must have attained a minimum of 200 credits by the end of year 2.

My advisee has 60 credits by the end of year 1 - what are their options?

In order to progress to the next year of study, a full-time student must have attained a minimum of 80 credits by the end of year 1. The student cannot progress to year 2.

They may require a period of part-time study or a repeat semester depending on their degree programme.

My advisee wants to withdraw from a module after the deadline for changes – what impact will this have on their studies?

The student will be short of credit and will need to make up the credit and will be charged for taking an additional module.  If the module is a core module it may mean that they can’t progress with their degree programme.  An X grade will appear on their record.

My advisee is one week into their degree studies and wants to change their intended degree – what advice should I give them?

The student is advised to speak to the Adviser responsible for the degree programme they wish to transfer into. The Adviser should determine whether the change can be permitted then email the Student Programmes Office (copying in the student) to request the change.

My advisee wants to change one of their compulsory modules which will change their intended degree – what should I do?

You should go through the degree programme table requirements with the student to discuss/consider whether a variant programme will be required. If a variant programme is required then you should contact Student Programme who will seek approval from the Academic Panel.

I think my advisee will need a variant programme to enable them to complete their degree programme. Who should I contact to discuss this?

You should contact the Student Programmes Team to discuss this.  Student Programmes team will seek approval from the Academic Panel.

My advisee has failed their option module and it’s not being offered again next academic session – what should we do?

The School will need to make arrangements to offer the student a reassessment opportunity.

What does five assessment attempts (3 module registations) mean?

First Registration main diet, resit diet (2)
Second Registration main diet, resit diet (4)


There is no formal supervision required when resubmitting a dissertation or equivalent. Can any academic give the student feedback? Does the meeting need to be with the supervisor?

Students should be given feedback and have one meeting with their supervisor (or an appropriate alternative if the supervisor is not available).

What is the composition of the Education and Student Experience Academic Panel?

The panel is chaired by Professor Leigh Sparks, and there is a pool of members, one representing each school. 2 members of the pool attend each meeting along with the Chair.

When does this panel normally meet?

Usually once a month.

Will a student taking my module on an ‘assessment only’ basis be able to attend seminars and lectures?

The student will be registered on the R occurrence of the module. They should not be attending classes so you will need to check if they have signed up for a seminar group. No attendance is taken at lectures.

Full-time undergraduate students in year 3 during 13/14 will have been assessed under the existing grading scheme.

During year 4, students will be assessed under the new marking scheme. In order to calculate the appropriate classification, existing grades need to be translated to the most appropriate mark. How will this be implemented?

Students’ results will be updated in SITS in time for their return in September. The portal will be amended so that students will be able to see the translation of their grades from the start of the academic session.

Who should I speak to if I want further training as an adviser of studies?

You should contact the Student Programmes Team.

My advisee wants to appeal their module mark. What are their options?

The appeal regulations are outlined here

There is no appeal against academic judgement.

Can we meet as a school team with Student Programmes on a regular basis?

Yes, Student Programmes would be more than happy to meet with your team on a regular basis.

What decisions can I not make as an adviser of studies?

As an adviser you are unable to:

  • waive the requirement for a core module to be completed;
  • approve an extension to a students completion date;
  • change the year of study
  • approve a variant degree programme without discussion with Student Programmes;
  • authorise compensation

Requests which involve any of the above should be passed to the Student Programmes Office who will seek approval from the Academic Panel.

© University of Stirling FK9 4LA Scotland UK • Telephone +44 1786 473171 • Scottish Charity No SC011159
Portal Logon